Home Inspector Licensing in British Columbia

I just found out that the British Columbia provinicial government today passed licensing legislation:

The requirements to be a licensed inspector in the province include one of the following:

  1. RHI member of CAHPI BC
  2. CHI member of BCIPI
  3. National Certificate Holder

I tried to upload the press release but it is too large.

Bill Mullen

http://www.bpcpa.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=400&Item id=1001

Congratulations Bill thats terrific news. I understand Nachi was not even on the radar screen.


It’s a huge move forward for the professionalizing the home inspector in Canada. It also provides much deserved recognition to the nay sayers about the National Certification Program.

The NCP provides the impetus and commonality that some were not readily willing to recognize. This certainly helps validate its importance in providing a fair and open window of opportunity for all Canadian home inspectors willing to give it a try!


Respectfully, it is not only CAHPI/NC that was recognized but ASTTBC requirements were also recognized. As I recall ASTTBC (BCIPI) have much more stringent requirements.

None the less I congratulate you and your efforts for ensuring CAHPI and the National where recognized as qualify bodies.

What is interesting is that the only way an inspector can become licensed if they don’t want to belong to CAHPI or BCIPI is to apply for their National Certification.

So, only three certifications will be recognized:

Since there are likely at least 500 non-aligned inspectors in BC right now, the applications for the NCH should start flying in.

Those in other provinces, especially Ontario, could beat the rush by signing up now either on your own or through an organization like PHPIO.

Bill Mullen

Did I see a provision somewhere in the documents which implied that those not aligned who felt they could meet licencing requirements could apply to the licencing board for review?

I agree ASTTBC must also be noted and are part of the recognized group.

On another note the National Certification Program will also be looking at raising the certification criteria once again at this year end. But the most important point is as Bill noted non-aligned inspectors will certainly a very few options.

Temporarily only:

Q. Is there a way to get licensed without being a member of one of the specified associations or authorities?
A. Yes. For a short transition period, up to March 31, 2009, home inspectors currently working can apply to the BPCPA to have their experience, knowledge and ability assessed, and a licence may be issued. There is a $250 fee for this assessment. At the end of two years, you will be expected to meet the requirements of an acceptable professional home inspector association or authority

Licensing information and application forms will be posted on the BPCPA website on Feb. 27, after which the authority will begin accepting applications. The application forms will set out what is required for a license, such as insurance and affiliation with professional organizations.

To become licensed, home inspectors will need to meet the qualifications of either the Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors – BC branch; the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia; or the National Certification Program for Home and Property Inspectors.

Here’s is how they explained it in the government Q & A. It seems the government guys didn’t buy into Nick’s spin…Bill M.

Q. Why are other associations or authorities such as NACHI not acceptable?
A. Government consultations determined that acceptable associations and authorities would be those that require a satisfactory level of learning and field training prior to providing home inspections to the public. They also have standards of practice, codes of ethics, insurance requirements and a process to help resolve disputes between their members and consumers.

Is Nick working on this licensing for NICHI members in BC yet?

Isn’t that interesting! I guess we can also now say without hesitation that the claimed numbers of Nachi members in BC is also erroneous othewise the overwhelming numbers of Nachi members would have been able to make a dent in the licencing scheme.


Door has closed, you are now irrelevant in BC as a home inspector. You missed the proverbial boat.

I think I would be looking for a new profession, unfortunately.

Sorry, James, but I believe that ship has already sailed. Nick had his chance when Claude and I invited him many times to have the NACHI requirements looked at in an Equivalency Assessment with the National Certification Program. He refused every time and now NACHI members have been left out in the cold.

The legislation has been passed and is law.

You now can either join CAHPI BC, BCIPI or apply for the National Certification.

There is an option to become licensed outside these three groups, but the verification process will be tough. Since the NACHI requirements have already been rejected by the government, you and other NACHI members could have a tough time.

Bill Mullen

Hi Bill,
How long is the NCP eaxm waiting list in BC ?

One needs to apply and undergo a background review, than if eligible take the TIPR exam. Info may be found at http://www.nca-anc.com/

More specifically http://www.nca-anc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=39

The current wait period is approximately a month for a TIPR depending on the number applications currently in the system.

James you may qualify under item 10 (page 4 at the link below. TRANSITION. It appears you do not have to be a member of any association.

Reads like a grandfathering clause.


Looks like there will be some “Weeding-Out” going on in BC…!!!

Claude, did everyone know, or I guess I should say, was this new law publicized for quite a while before actually becoming law?

Personally I think some licensing laws are actually good in more ways than not if written properly.

Good luck you guys…

I had mentioned that, and if James has more credentials than merely NACHI ones, he might have a chance. However, since the BC government finds the nACHI credentials insufficint, I can only wish him luck.

Bill Mullen