Does licensing protect the public..

Does licensing protect the public…

See W5 (CTV) 7PM Saturday April 9th on how a licensed trade treats the Public
Added Below ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the W5 Program… Roy
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110408/w5-the-mechanic-110409/

73% of Licensed Mechanics rip of the public in this program

[FONT=Arial][size=2]Compared to other groups Home Inspectors have a great record
[/size][/FONT]

No…

“No…” Do you mean “No” you won’t watch, or “No” licensing does not protect…?

Curious to know your opinion Roy,Years ago I would have said no,but after reviewing the BC requirements for license I am leaning towards yes,a lot of the Internachi guys are beyond licensing,as far as knowledge and experience goes,but requiring a license would eliminate a certain element,so I say yes,interested to see other points of view.

Licensing of home inspectors harms the public.

It does so by creating an illusion of skill and competency that the public mistakenly believes a license to represent.

In fact, as we all know from every single state that has caved in to the special interests who have purchased such laws from legislators willing to sell them, the criteria that has been established for licensing is nothing more than a minimum basic standard that usually is little more than studying for a test, passing a test, and paying a fee.

Unwitting home buyers innocently suspecting (as the hyperbolic advertisiments touting “licenses” as credentials on newby home inspector web sites) the license to represent a government approved level of skill and competency — end up hiring inspectors who they normally would not have hired if they had done their homework and checked him out instead of relying totally upon the fact that he was “licensed”.

Licensing is a menace to the public and should be abolished where it exists and resisted where it does not.

Yepper…what he said.

After more than 10 Years Inspecting, the FACT Remains.
Licensing is Self Serving only to those that Promote It.
There is no demonstrable benefit to Consumers…
No demonstrable benefit to Inspectors…

I am not saying I am for or against a license,but in Canada,BC is the only required province to have a license,I don’t live in BC,but the requirements for license are certificate of completion for the carson dunlop home inspection program,provincial safety code part 9,terms 1 and 2,2 association exams,a mock inspection,1 peer review,report verification,or second option, This is a paste,
To become licensed, home inspectors will need to meet the qualifications of either the Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors – BC branch; the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia; or the National Certification Program for Home and Property Inspectors. As well, like other groups regulated by the BPCPA who work with consumers, home inspectors will require a criminal record check. I am not a pro government kind of guy,actually they have mostly made me miserable,but as far as I know after they verify your credentials you can take the licensing exams,and ,PS,if this does happen in my province it will throw my work life for a loop.just the facts in Canada.

Good Points from all of you,BC is the only province in Canada that requires a license ,I spent 20 minutes researching license requirements and all I am coming up with is, must belong to CAHPI and meet their association requirements,all that government spent money and it is what it is,license is not required where I live, so I never had an opinion,I am in the province next to BC,so my fear now would be forcing me to join CAHPI Alberta,just to keep working,and they are not cheap to join.this is reminiscent of late 1989 when I was forced to join the carpenters union to go to work,the point is I was already working.PS,I attempted to edit my first post and deleted it.

Here is the W5 Program… Roy
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110408/w5-the-mechanic-110409/

73% of Licensed Mechanics rip of the public in this program

[FONT=Arial][size=2]Compared to other groups Home Inspectors have a great record

2010 BBB Records are even better [/size][/FONT]

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f48/bbb-complaints-list-2008-a-57843/

Compared to other groups Home Inspectors have a great record …

**2010 BBB Records are even better **.
. For home inspectors they prove Licensing is not needed in Canada

[size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][size=2]Actual Complaints… 27[/FONT][/size][/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][size=2]Complaints Settled …14[/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][size=2]Complaints Not Settled… 13[/FONT][/size][/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][size=2]These are Canadian Figures[/FONT][/size][/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][size=2]BBB list of Complaints Home Inspection Ranked #108[/FONT][/size][/size]
Canada BBB 2008 Statistics Sorted by Complain[FONT=Arial][size=1][FONT=Arial][size=1]t [/size][/size][/FONT]
**Industry Description Inquiries Report Rank **[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/size]
[size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial]Complaints Complaint Rank[/size] Complaints Settled % Complaints Not Settled % Complaints Unable to Pursue %
TOTAL 3,067,564 29,412 18,483 62.8% 9,618 32.7% 1,311 4.5%
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][size=1]Cellular Phones Equipment & Service 6,550 92 1,079 1 972 90.1% 106 9.8% 1 0.1%[/size][/FONT]
[size=1][FONT=Verdana]Furniture-Retail 28,091 18 1,016 2 738 72.6% 238 23.4% 40 3.9%[/FONT][/size][/FONT][/size]

Christopher:

In BC, CAHPI is but one of four organizations that can provide the requirements to qualify for licensing. CAHPI is by far the most expensive, and there is no need to join them. The four groups that have been approved for licensing are:

Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors (CAHPI BC)
Canadian National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (CanNACHI)
Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC)
National Home Inspector Certification Council (NHICC)

For the first three, you need to become a member of their association. The NHICC is a certifying body, so a person can become certified through them no matter which association they belong to or even if they belong to none.

I suspect that Alberta will do something similar. They have made it clear that the government does not want to put anyone out of work and that they will not likely pick one group as the winner over the others when it comes to licensing.

Bill Mullen

Very interesting.

Regardless of what one thinks of the BBB the data tells another story.
It assists in dispelling the fear and the rhetoric that home inspectors as an industry have a poor record.

Thanks Roy.

Welcome Back Bill you being past President of many associations , I expect you have heard lots . Can you tell us what the out come is of the Law suit .
That and any other information you can share would be appreciated …

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
I told them they could have it for $20K or $10K and dinner with Paula.

What is the cost to join the various associations and total cost to get Certified

[FONT=Arial][size=2]This is more information where licensing has not helped the public.

[/size][/FONT]

http://www.thestar.com/business/auto/article/971960–illegal-car-vendor-a-defiant-cowboy

From what I read Licensing has not improved the home inspection industry in the USA .
It looks like Ontario will have a change of Government in the fall as we are also spending more money then we have .
The two front runners in my area see no advantage to even think about Licensing home Inspectors .

Your reasoning again lacks, Roy!!

Licensing has nothing to do with dishonesty…that is the result of a consumeristic, greedy society in which the leaders of companies, governments and even churches are convicted of fraud, theft, etc, etc, etc.

I would rather have a licensed mechanic work on my vehicles than some unlicensed “who-knows-what” working out of his back yard shop. How about you?

BTW, how do we determine when an HI is dishonest? Sees something wrong in a house and writes it up as “in Good Condition”?

To myself, dishonest would be "taking online, unproctored testing; not being mentored by a well experienced accredited HI for a minimum # of attended inspections; not having a minimum number of inspections successfully completed; and then calling yourself a “CERTIFIED HOME INSPECTOR” would be dishonest!!!

Brian - Actually NACHI does not say your a “Certified Home Inspector” it says your a certified member of INACHI. Two different things.

It would be like me starting a organization call the The association of the kick azz home inspectors. Do I say they are kick azz? Nope just saying they are a member. Imply what you want, thats marketing.

I agree with your mentality on raising the bar. But here is where I see the flaws. Mentoring by a well experienced person (who sets the standard for this? Is there a fee? Who sets the fee? Do they automatically pass the mentoring phase or is there a test? Is the test standardized? What is the minimum number of inspections? Who decides? I know a ton of people who are good at what they do, but can’t teach for sheet. So they are the ones mentoring?

I agree, but when dealing with man, there are som many viarables that get in the way. The number one is EGO. People want to feel superior than others. Hence if I am mentoring a person in my area, do I set them up for success or failure? Why would I want to train my competition and tell them all I know and learned in the past 12 years? Seems like a way to keep newbies out and then set what ever standard you hold. Example: Lets set the standard for Florida Home Inspectors to get a license at owning a business that has been in varifiable existance for 25 years as an inspection company performing over 25,000 inspections total. Fair? Proably not, but my company meets that and I don’t know of another that does. So then I will raise it to where I meet it, but then don’t allow other who don’t meet it.

I agree in the better standards. I see your knowledge base, its vast and extensive and I see where you are the leader in many of the ideas talked about here, such as blower doors. You are the first one to use this that I have heard of. I understand protecting the profession. What I don’t understand is who sets your “standards”? How is a new guy to enter the field?

I am willing to learn. I jsut feel that mentoring should be free, and voluntary. There will never, ever be a hard license to get or else it would not be cost effective for the goverment to issue the license. The easier it is, the more there are and the more revenue generated. Licensing is not about PROTECTING, its above generating revenue.

Just because you have a driver’s license does not make you a good driver. On, and on.

Well ("I would rather have a licensed mechanic work on my vehicles “)
You of course work on your own Vehicles are you a licensed Mechanic ?
(” taking online, unproctored testing ") now how do you explain your posting information that others use seems to me they are not proctored ?
(: Licensing has nothing to do with dishonesty :slight_smile: exactly and we all know you would never do any thing dishonest ( HA HA ) .
Strange how we have a lot of great home Inspectors who are not licensed .

Sorry but from what I read the Home Inspection Industry is very far down on the list of complaints .

(“Originally Posted by Brian A. MacNeish http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
*Your reasoning again lacks, Roy!!”) *

Brian do you mean it is OK for the public to be ripped of by unethical car sales and Unethical repair bandits .

• That was what this post is about unethical treatment of the public *

Thanks Bill,went to the NHICC web site,this probably will become a reality for me,better plan ahead ,personally,whether I am for licensing or not is besides the point,I suspect the province will go licensed,and better be prepared.

A lot cheaper I understand is to CANNACHI