More on Home Inspector Licensing

Thought this news article may peak some more interst and comments:

Licensed Home Inspectors Makes Perfect Sense

I am not an OAHI member or have internal knowledge of the organization, but from what many have said about it around here and elsewhere it sounds like they can’t even take care of themselves let alone regulate the entire industry in Ontario. If Governments want to license then so be it, license and over see it as a Government do not just hand it over to private Associations because it is the easy way out.

Jerry,
OAHI is not a private organization. InterNACHI is. OAHI is a non-profit organization. And you are correct in saying they have some serious problems taking care of themselves. However I am hoping it is starting to make some changes. There are some great members and committees in place that are interested in the members and their benefits , not just in personal interests now. In light of InterNACHI not being recognized by BC as a viable organization because of education it leaves 1 of 2 choices. Either InterNACHI makes sure their education system will qualify you and I to obtain a license, or we have to be part of an association that does.

Personally I believe InterNACHI has some fantastic education in place that puts the onus on the inspector to educate himself. This means InterNACHI has to ensure that any legislator has reason to allow its education system or adjust it’s education system to get this recognition. That is the only way the members can benefit in the long run.

OAHI has other education that is great and is currently recognized by legislators. However they are not leaving it there, they are adding education and trying to determine what education will best benefit the industry.

In the end will licensing eliminate the “Cowboy” as Bob states? Just because the inspector is not a member of OAHI does not make him a “cowboy” any more than by being a member of OAHI member does not make you a “cowboy”. There always will be the good, the bad and the ugly. In every industry.

It does come down to what we are willing to put into it. Some have worked hard at trying to help OAHI (Claude for one) for years and have been kicked in the teeth many times. But I am going to be like him and put in as much as I can, because I believe this industry is going places.

Keep those positive thoughts sir.

I for one, am really saddened that NACHI in Canada is perceived as nothing more than an online diploma mill. I was aware that this was the case, especially in BC, which is why I took advantage of the National Certification opportunity when it arose.

As an example of how poorly NACHI is perceived, it is even mentioned in the BPCPA FAQ in this manner:

Q. Why are other associations or authorities such as NACHI not acceptable?

A. Government consultations determined that acceptable associations and authorities would be those that require a satisfactory level of learning and field training prior to providing home inspections to the public. They also have standards of practice, codes of ethics, insurance requirements and a process to help resolve disputes between their members and consumers.

I don’t know where they got this erroneous information, (iNACHI does have standards of practice, codes of ethics and a dispute resolution process) but it would have been simple to connect iNACHI to the National Certification process, and then the rest of the argument would have been moot. It is also significant that they do not even know that NACHI is actually iNACHI.

Since the powers that control iNACHI do not seem keen to promote something that would greatly benefit our Canadian members, I think it is up to us to do so ourselves. I therefore respectfully suggest that if you are a BC iNACHI member, that you apply right now for National Certification. It isn’t difficult, the forms are available online, and if you can get your foot in the door, you should be able to keep working while your application is being processed.

Once there are enough iNACHI members who are also National Certificate holders, we should be able to lobby for greater recognition of iNACHI’s educational offerings.

Association membership (in iNACHI or anyone else) should not be considered as a “credential” or to symbolize anything more than it is…a membership in an association.

Does iNACHI have standards? Yes. All associations do.

Can iNACHI verify that its membership has complied with all of its standards? No…and neither can ASHI or NAHI. All three, for some or part of its membership requirements, base trust in an affadavit provided by the individual member.

The disput resolution that is referred to does not exist at iNACHI. The association has no control over the business decisions of its members and can only enforce its COE by expulsion or other sanctions, but cannot resolve disputes between a consumer and its members.

James,

NACHI has this service ADRS ***The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors

• Alternate Dispute Resolution Service**

No, sir.

NACHI members who enroll in the service have it. It is not run by NACHI and has nothing to do with association, really. It is independent of anything to do with membership in any association.

A consumer who contacts iNACHI with a complaint about a member (unless it is a COE violation) is wasting their time. iNACHI has no control or say over a business decision made by a member. INACHI cannot even require that you use their SOP, or you wouldn’t have so many claiming to “exceed” it or to use ASHI’s SOP, instead.

I know, but the fact remains that NACHI offers this quality service to it’s members. NACHI can’t do everything James.
We have an old Greek saying, “You can take a horse to water, but you can’t force the horse to drink” I hope the moral of this saying is not lost in the translation.

The point is…the author of the defining post was describing an association that would take a complaint from a consumer against a member and attempt to resolve it…much like the bar association for lawyers, for example. There is no such thing offered by iNACHI.

This thread is about someone expecting a national association membership to represent a “credential”…and it is just not so. None of them do.

Really? :shock:

Richard,

This service is offered (small annual cost) by Mr. Joe Farsetta via NACHI for NACHI members. James is partially correct.

I understand that it is run by Joe.

The incorrect part is about it being independant of any association.

It is a member benefit availible only to iNACHI members.

I agree Claude, licensing makes absolutely no difference to me besides the fact I have a tax deductible fee each year, and I would carry E&O regardless of Licensing Laws…also tax deductible.

Folks here who cannot adhere to the laws naturally loose their license, which is the way it should be.

We have last more than half of the inspectors here because of reasons I do not know, maybe they should not have chosen this business in the first place, cannot find enough inspections to make a living, are not personal to the public, know as much about inspecting a home as some who let their license expire know about working at 7-11.

Licensing in AZ, has weeded out the folks how cannot make it in the business, which has increased my business by 30%…so I have absolutely no gripes about the Laws we have in AZ anyway, which are basically pretty lenient…follow the SOP…carry insurance, pay for the state license (after schooling of course), which is very basic (80 hr. course), but the school I went to we actually did on the job inspections everyday and had to write a report for each inspection which the educator (a renowned) teacher, viewed and made comments, suggestions to change, and helped everyone with a great demeanor…!!

Pass the NHIE (simple)…pass the Ethic’s exam, the state reviewed three reports when I got licensed, no problem, ASHI reviewed the same exams, they sent me corrections needed in the reports, I was very impressed with ASHI response to the exact same reports submitted to Arizona…and I thanked ASHI for their help, as of today I use ASHI’s advice in regard to reporting to possibly save my azz if necessary.
I know Jim Bushart will disagree with me, but that is OK, he is a good friend and I respect his personal opinion.**

So I have nothing against licensing if the laws are written correctly…I know Kansas has an issue, but I surely hope that Bill is written properly.

Oh…and I also think Nicks online exam is harder-more complicated than the NHIE…

Pity is is not PROCTORED…!!!

If Proctored, it would earn a lot of respect from the Home Inspection Profession.

It may even work in Canada if Proctored…!!

Show me a state with building codes and that has laws governing the licensing of builders and contractors…add to that a state that has a demonstrated need for the state’s control over the qualifications for home inspectors…with the final ingredient, and that being a movement among actual consumers of home inspections to determine what qualities and measuring devices are of benefit to them…and I will personally lobby for its licensing laws.

The problem is that this has never ever ever happened…anywhere…in any state.

Licensing laws have been introduced by those seeking an advantage over others and have been supported by those hopeful of gaining advantage or market for what they sell. The consumer, if he even asks, is later informed - after the fact - of what has been done to protect him without ever having input or having any idea of the danger in the first place.

There has never been a single problem used to justify a licensing law that has ever been solved by a licensing law. In the end, it is nothing more than one group attemtping to gain advantage over another.

You are right Jerry. The OAHI is in melt down mode apparently because it cannot even keep it’s books straight. Add to that the abuse of it’s membership and a propensity to operate behind closed doors and outside of it’s own constitution and the OAHI has clearly demonstrated that it is incapable of responsibly governing anything.

It is even more interesting that Bill Mullen who has been on these very pages attacking the OAHI for many of the above reasons, is quoted in the article as being full of praise. It seems odd that on the one hand he is working against the organization and on the other is praising it. I guess power and the opportunity to exercise it against those you don’t like is a huge aphrodisiac.

James is right. Licensing is just a method for one group to control another. See the above example for proof.

George, I believe that you have taken Bill’s support and misinterpreted that quote out of context.

From the article - “Bill Mullen is past president of the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors. He told me that he is “quite pleased” with the B.C. move, and that his group is in favour of mandatory licensing as long as it establishes a high enough standard.”

I see no specific reference to him supporting OAHI’s position. His reference was not praise for OAHI, but a comment indicating the need for licensing/regulation when and where established, establishing a high enough standard.

I received this note from Bill Mullen tonight. Apparently I need to practice my reading skills! My apologies to Bill.
George

"Hi George:

I can’t post to the NACHI forum any longer, but I thought I would ask you to correct a statement you made about me this morning.

In the Toronto Star article, I have stated my pleasure about the BC licensing and the fact they insisted on a high standard…that’s all.

You posted the following:

"It is even more interesting that Bill Mullen who has been on these very pages attacking the OAHI for many of the above reasons, is quoted in the article as being full of praise. It seems odd that on the one hand he is working against the organization and on the other is praising it. I guess power and the opportunity to exercise it against those you don’t like is a huge aphrodisiac."

This is not correct, and if you read the article closely, I did not mention or refer to OAHI in any way, and I most certainly did not praise them. The reporter goes on to talk about them, but I said nothing.

My feelings about those running OAHI are still very strongly against their policies, so I hate to have people think I have gone to their side.

No harm done, George, if you fix this. We all misread stuff every once in a while.

Thanks
Bill M."

Thanks George - I have fallen into the same condition from time to time!

Claude,

OAHI is part of CAHPI to which Bill Mullen was past president. His lack of reference supporting OAHI’s position and his praise for licensing/regulation when and where established is enough said…