Home inspector named in lawsuit of boy electrouted by pool light

Commercial pools are a different story. All sorts of safety features need to be in place. The pump otitis have to have a certain flow rate. I have never found one in comiance yet.

Robert I can think of one instance where they would not be included.

I run into this scenario at times. Where the presemt owner of the home has stated before hand that they are taking the appliances and therefore they are not being conveyed with the sale of the home. That’s one scenario. Of course we would need to know that before we even submit our scope of work to the buyers for their approval. Many times we don’t but there are times when I’ve been notified prior.

Bert

Bert

Accurate, but you are not looking at the big picture…that plus my question was phrased wrong:mrgreen:
Appliances are not the only thing referenced for exclusion in the change, interior components in general are also referenced in the change. I was speaking to the totality of the standard itself, why put a clause for exclusion when it comes to ALL interior components? Because, you are required per FSS 468.8321 to submit a written disclosure of the scope and any exclusions of the home inspection. If you are performing a wind mitigation or a 4-point, you are not exempt from your standards as required by the state…you are required to submit the exclusions of the inspection with a copy of your license. You don’t sign the form under “home inspection”, you sign the form under “home inspector”…you are qualifying with your license AND it’s standards. We talk about these things and other state statutes of our licensing in great detail at all FABI conferences. We have experts and people actually working towards getting declarative statements from the state on these issues. Our state has gone the extra mile and actually put forth standards of our licensing for a minimum, not a maximum. You can build a home to code, but what do you have? You have the bare minimum requirements it took to build a home, you did the least amount of work and construction required by you to pass. Nothing stops you from going above your standards, just like nothing stops a builder from going above the code.
A very smart person once told me, “today’s code is tomorrow’s home inspection”. How many issues do we report on that can be directly linked to an existing or previous code requirement? Pretty much all of them!
One question, did anyone know your state standards had been changed in July? Did anyone know your state standards had been changed as recently as 30 days ago? How important are these changes? They set precedence for your inspections, they mean everything. Not belonging to a state represented association keeps you out of the loop…so to speak. For the price of memebership equally, you could join FABI and attend 3-4 conferences in your area per renewal cycle. Just saying…

do nachi members get a discount to join fabi? let see if nick can hook it up. And does fabi have a message board?

lol… :slight_smile:

When pigs fly.

Memebrship in FABI is half of what you’re paying now…

12/03/2014: If you are eductaing your inspectors so well, why do I have to come on here and school them on their standards of practice, the statutes of their licensing, and how to interpret the code?
***I am VERY familiar on how internachi was founded and who helped put it together…you didn’t do it by yourself. ***
***As for inspector licensing, FABI promoted, lobbied, and persued the implementation of the Standards and required licensing…not just a declarative statement asking if division 1 contractors could perform home inspections without a HI license. Yes, I read that statement. FABI was the catalyst that fought for our licening requirements in this state…not internachi. ***
I am glad you have meet two governors…very proud. ?
After reading some of your inspectors reports, and I have read many, your online based educatiion is really paying off…that’s sarcasm by the way.

But what does it matter, much like my last post, this will never see the light of day…

I see the membership fee is half the cost of nachi, but what are the benefits of joining?

Im just curious because im considering joining.

Also i wouldnt leave nachi because all of the approved courses and referrals.

The level of education at FABI is second to none. I know I will get feed back here on that and that is ok. All of FABI seminars include CEU courses. And there is nothing better than leaning form the best in a classroom situation where ideas are discussed. Beats any online education any day. For those of you that like the online classes that is OK. As an FYI I teach the 120 hour home inspector course at Miami Dade along with Manny. I am at the north campus. We have field exercises at the end of each class and we get the online students for those. I can tell you that the on line students are like dears staring into head lights. They know next to nothing The ones that go through the class have a much better grasp of how to inspect.

FABI keeps up with the changes to any state laws regarding home inspections and keeps its members informed as to what is going on. From what I read here no one knew about any changes to the SOP.

FABI is not as large as NACHI and does not have all of the benefits that NACHI offers, but their education and involvement in the industry in Florida is well worth taking a look at.

I actually get appx. 2k monthly from Nachi referrals since joining, so its well worth it, not to mention all the approved courses which count for my General’s Contractors license, as well. I would probably pay double for this membership to be truthful

Robert,
Don’t put every one in that class, I admitted I hadn’t been following the changes but several on this board due so religiously, Eric for example. (one good reason to be here).

Though I haven’t taken a FABI course I will say I attended a small part of one of their conferences and for the most part every one was very welcoming and it seemed well run.

I’m sure FABI is a perfectly fine little group, but InterNACHI dominates Florida.

I’ve met with both of the the past two governors of Florida one-on-one.

I attended all four state-hosted stakeholders meetings; the only person to attend all four.

When licensing was first proposed, it was InterNACHI that had it modified to prevent General Contractors from being automatically issued home inspection licenses.

It was InterNACHI that got through a Bill that exempted home inspectors from the provisions of the mold assessor’s license.

InterNACHI’s mold courses were approved by Florida and used to grandfather our members to become mold assessors.

InterNACHI’s free, online courses are approved for home inspector licensing in Florida

InterNACHI’s proctored exam is approved and used for home inspector licensing in Florida.

InterNACHI’s free, online courses are approved for continuing education of home inspectors in Florida.

InterNACHI’s free, online Wind Mitigation course is approved by both the Florida DBPR and CILB.

Florida has a lot of consumers, agents, and inspectors who speak Spanish. InterNACHI has a library of inspection-related articles in Spanish.

The inspection industry’s third best-selling book is published by InterNACHI in Spanish.

InterNACHI offers a variety of deals and discounts for members in Florida for attractions in Florida.

InterNACHI offers a free, online course for Florida insurance adjusters.

InterNACHI’s roof data technician program that we run in partnership with Lowes and Owens Corning is strongest in Florida.

InterNACHI’s offers free, online courses for real estate agents to keep their real estate licenses. They are also approved in Florida for agents.

InterNACHI hosts this Florida-specific message board forum.

InterNACHI has 2,000 members in Florida.

I could go on and on, but Florida is simply an InterNACHI-dominated state.

If you are educating your inspectors so well, why do I have to come on here and school them on their standards of practice, the statutes of their licensing, and how to interpret the code?
I am VERY familiar on how internachi was founded and who helped put it together…you didn’t do it by yourself.
As for inspector licensing, FABI promoted, lobbied, and persued the implementation of the Standards and required licensing…not just a declarative statement asking if division 1 contractors could perform home inspections without a HI license. Yes, I read that statement. FABI was the catalyst that fought for our licening requirements in this state…not internachi.
I am glad you have meet two governors…very proud. ?
After reading some of your inspectors reports, and I have read many, your online based education is really paying off…that’s sarcasm by the way.

But what does it matter, much like my last post, this will never see the light of day…