Home inspector who stole property sentenced

Nick/nachi has his back & appears to endorse such behavior

another imagined designation free to all members, is linked to your user info whether you comply or not and can/will not be removed when requested…

InterNACHI’s $10,000 Honor Guarantee

Looking for an honorable inspector? Look no further.
InterNACHI inspectors are backed by our Honor Guarantee.

Find the best inspector in your neighborhood

InterNACHI will pay up to US $10,000.00 (maximum collective aggregate) for the cost of replacement of personal property lost (and not recovered, restituted or insured) during an inspection and stolen by an InterNACHI-certified member of who had displayed the Honor Guarantee webseal (below) on his/her inspection business website and was convicted of or pled guilty (or no contest) to any criminal charge resulting from the member’s taking of the personal property. Claimant agrees that the exclusive venue for any action against InterNACHI arising out of this Honor Guarantee is the District Court in Boulder County, Colorado. InterNACHI’s Honor Guarantee is valid in all of the U.S. and Canada.

InterNACHI’s Code of Ethics

InterNACHI-Certified Inspectors:

To use the Honor Guarantee webseal (required to qualify), simply log into the InterNACHI webseal page, scroll down, and install the Honor Guarantee code on your website.  You will need your InterNACHI certified member username and password.  Forgot your password? 
Cost:  Free.

Canadian Members:

The webseal page automatically chooses the 'correct' spelling for you.  So you'll get: 

$10,000 Honour Guarantee, Backed by InterNACHI

Personally, I think the sentence is too light. I have absolutely no heart or compassion for a thief. That rates right down there with pedophiles and rapists, IMO.

If stoning were legal, less of this crap would be taking place!

stockade-211x300.png

WTF??

I was never interested and therefore never read it until now.

IMO NACHI should be not only be forbidding thieves from joining this org but also helping to prosecute these low lifes and put them behind bars.

WOW…

how ya like it now…

I don’t like it, and I’d prefer to have it removed as well, IMO we as members should have the option to participate or not to the program, or at least have the option to have it removed as advertising from our information.

And to think people put that on their websites.

all i know to do is remove the

from site to distance myself from this nonsense
this accomplishes the general public having a harder time verifying & viewing profile
this in turn defeats the honest inspectors attempt at full disclosure…sad but true

I never liked the “honor guarantee”, who would put that on their website?
If I steal from you while I’m inspecting your home well golly, don’t worry,
we’ll cover your loss?

Total BS.

I think this line means that if you are planning on taking something from one of your clients home put this logo on your website, if you are not planning tto take something then there is no need for it.:roll:

As Barry pointed out any link to your INachi membership verification states you have, or promote, an honor guarantee. I wish we had a way to edit this. Or better yet Nick should remove it completely.

Country US
Certification Status: Member in Good Standing, through April 4th, 2015
Honor Guarantee: $10,000 Honor Guarantee, backed by InterNACHI: Covered.

[quote=“ccurrins, post:29, topic:92787”]

As Barry pointed out any link to your INachi membership verification states you have, or promote, an honor guarantee. I wish we had a way to edit this. Or better yet Nick should remove it completely.

A lot of good ideas have come from Nachi, this is not one of them.
Removal is my vote.

The $10,000 doesn’t go to the inspector. Much like a fidelity bond, the money goes to the victim (consumer) and the inspector is immediately expelled from InterNACHI. Many states also maintain consumer recovery funds (TREC in Texas included) to cover consumer losses as a court restitution order is just that, an order, not restitution.

Having sellers vacate the home during the inspection has become the norm in our industry. We get a few calls a week from sellers who have been asked by their agent to not be present during the inspection and who are worried about their personal possessions (often elderly sellers), or by agents who want to know what to tell their sellers who are worried about vacating the home during the inspection. We tell them that if the inspector is a member of InterNACHI, not to worry (and if they are an agent, to tell their clients not to worry). We are so confident in the integrity of our InterNACHI members that every one of them is backed by our $10,000 Honor Guarantee. Agents love it.

Sometimes, not very often, the agent says the inspector is not a member of InterNACHI. We advise those agents that they should not permit the inspector to enter the home and to ask the buyer’s agent to find an InterNACHI inspector to do the inspection instead.

Excellent point.

Nick, your rules - the guarantee is honored only if the logo/link is displayed on my website.
I don’t do it. It could influence someone to decide against me & does not reflect the truth.
It doesn’t make sense not being able to opt out.

Yes. If we choose to not display the logo/link on on our website, or any other marketing material, we should be able to choose to not have the Honor Guarantee on our verification label.

As you said it’s not honored if we don’t display it on our website. So stating the Guarantee is honored next to our name is actually misleading.

Agreed. Requirement removed. It’s now honored for every and all consumers having dealings with any InterNACHI member in the U.S. or Canada.

Touché.

will you “immediately expel” the member below that was disciplined by trec?

07/2013
Agreed reprimand of professional inspector.
Agreed administrative penalty of $1,000.00.
Respondent performed a real estate inspection and, without authorization, took personal property which belonged to the owner of the inspected property.

will you immediately expel & remove all search function from the member below that was disciplined by trec? he’s in their public records

07/2013
Agreed reprimand of professional inspector.
Agreed administrative penalty of $1,000.00.
Respondent performed a real estate inspection and, without authorization, took personal property which belonged to the owner of the inspected property.

That’s a different inspector Barry. The inspector that got convicted and sent to prison was from Maryland and was never a member of InterNACHI.

The inspector who received the reprimand from TREC would have had to be from Texas (different inspector).

But to answer your question: If I knew who he/she was and he/she was found to have stolen property?.. heck yes, they’d be expelled immediately. But look at what you posted. It says “reprimand.” I’m sure as heck hoping that TREC didn’t merely reprimand an inspector for theft without revoking his license. I’m guessing there was no intent. TREC would have alerted me if it was a theft. But if you have anything on it, email it to me at fastreply@nachi.org so I can take a look at it.

Apparently in this case at least they did reprimand without revoking his license.

As for intent what can an Inspector possibly walk off site with that was not intentional? I seriously doubt even TREC would nail an Inspector for accidentally walking off with a panel screw they placed in their pocket while inspecting the interior? Also if an Inspector did accidentally walk off with something such as a panel screw or the door keys they would or should have realized that at some point. Why did this Inspector not return the item(s) they inadvertently walked off with? I have accidentally walked off with the door keys and once I realized it immediately called the listing Agent and immediately made an over 2 hour round trip back to the site, that day, to return them!

In the case of this particular Inspector that Barry has mentioned there was yet another interesting twist I was just made aware of. The Inspector was nailed for stealing, reprimanded, and issued a fine. After 6 months the Inspector had not paid their fine and it was only then that TREC suspended their license. This brings up multiple questions.

1. Why was a thief allowed to even keep their license in the first place?
  2. Why was the Inspectors license not suspended immediately after the judgment until their fine was paid?
  3. The Inspector’s license displays “Active” at this time so I would expect he finally paid the fine since the suspension was early last year. However the Inspector has displayed characteristics of a thief and characteristics of an irresponsible person by not paying their fine in a timely manner. If the Inspector did pay their fine and reactivate their license why were they allowed to after displaying twice they might not be fit for this profession?

We as a profession, and an Association, seem to have more of an ability and/or desire, to help protect consumers by act of self policing than those that license us. I do believe we really need to ramp up this aspect and live up to any promises we do make of protecting consumers!

you must be confused
i never stated that the op #1 md inspector was the tx-trec inspector or vice versa

why would trec alert you?

you have the info
trec has the details
let us know the outcome

thanks for explaining #30 honor guarantee is an imagined designation recovery fund

once again i request the honor guarantee be removed from my profile info