Home styles

Originally Posted By: dnice
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

lkage wrote:
dnice wrote:
lkage wrote:

Or gable, hip, gambrel, flat, etc.

That would be under "roof type".

That's one way to look at it.

Can't think of another way to look at it unless you think that "flat" (or gable, hip, etc.) can be considered styles of homes. I'm missing your logic here.

--
David Nice
National Certified Inspection Services, Inc.
Wauwatosa, WI
http://www.nationalcertified.com

Originally Posted By: dspencer

or

Stick built
Balloon Framed
Platform Framed
Manufactured
Block
Steel Framed

Originally Posted By: lkage

dnice wrote:
lkage wrote:
dnice wrote:
lkage wrote:

Or gable, hip, gambrel, flat, etc.

That would be under "roof type".

That's one way to look at it.

Can't think of another way to look at it unless you think that "flat" (or gable, hip, etc.) can be considered styles of homes. I'm missing your logic here.

Not much logic needed. There are many ways to look at things...this is just one, as Darren points out.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Personally, I’d go with “Single family, platform framed, gable roofed, colonial wannabe”.

A real colonial would also have fake shutters at the window over the garage...scuz me, I mean stable. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

rmoore wrote:
Personally, I'd go with "Single family, platform framed, gable roofed, colonial wannabe".

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Here’s one:

Detached, single family, multilevel.

Stu

lkage wrote:

Not much logic needed. There are many ways to look at things...this is just one, as Darren points out.

The specifics can all be pretty subjective, however, one still needs to properly separate the distinctions of home style, roof style, and methods of construction.

To use methods of construction and roof styles to describe the distinction "Style of Home" would be confusing and inappropriate.

To collapse the distinctions of home style, roof style and method of construction, and use the describing terms interchangeably, tends to indicate a lack of understanding of details that is expected of a competent home inspector.

I'm not sure what you are implying...but I just want to be sure that we are really on the same page (unless you are just being a contrarian). ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
David Nice
Wauwatosa, WI

dnice wrote:
lkage wrote:

The specifics can all be pretty subjective, however, one still needs to properly separate the distinctions of home style, roof style, and methods of construction.

To use methods of construction and roof styles to describe the distinction "Style of Home" would be confusing and inappropriate.

If you're confused and believe certain descriptions inappropriate, then use what you think best...pretty simple really. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Galileo Galilei

lkage wrote:

If you're confused and believe certain descriptions inappropriate, then use what you think best...pretty simple really. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Perhaps the advise to "use what you think best" would have been good advise to give to Earl in the first place. That would be "pretty simple" rather than to begin to throw out terms out of left field that do not address the original question.

Earl got good plenty good advice from Joe, Tim, William, Jason, Michael, Justo and David. Your piping in with roof styles and Darren with construction methods is so out of left field that one might think that you are more interested in confusing a newbie inspector than in aiding him. Of this I am NOT "confused".

I'm noticing some Bushartisms in your remarks so please excuse me if I disengage from this nonsense. Earl has gotten the advise he needed and hopefully he has enough sense on his own to know when he's being fed misinformation.
![](upload://hZAssWttYlE6d9ZempDq81FSCZf.gif)

--
David Nice
Wauwatosa, WI

Originally Posted By: gbell

This link should provide all of the info you asked for Earl.

http://architecture.about.com/library/bl-styles_index.htm

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: lwillick

Earl:

You don’t need to describe the style of house, the realtors quite often do that, but you should identify the style of roof. On this home it is a gable. Good luck. Keep asking questions. It’s a good way to learn.

Best regards,

larry

Originally Posted By: ecox1

thanks to everyone for your inputs

dnice wrote:
I'm noticing some Bushartisms in your remarks so please excuse me if I disengage from this nonsense.

Please do, many would appreciate it.

--
Galileo Galilei