not convinced

i inspected a heavily-renovated 2003 oakwood home this afternoon that, i was told, is a modular. the inside has the appearance of a trailer with popcorn ceilings, 3 or 4/12 roof pitch, paneled walls, cheap door hinges, and pex plumbing. labels in the bedroom closet and on the electrical panel state that it meets modular home production guidelines. i’m not convinced because…

the underside is sealed off by a black vapor barrier like a trailer, it has steel beams and struts like a trailer, and, perhaps the biggest give-away - it has tie-downs every eight feet. this unit rests on a block masonry wall, and it has dry-stacked concrete block piers in the center.

the exterior has been re-sided, and the windows are all vinyl-clad thermal-pane types. the paperwork refers to the house as a " ‘modular’ ".

what do you think? please respond quickly, as i need to help my client sort things out.

http://www.nachi.org/modular-manufactured-homes.htm

if it walks like a duck

If you do not know the difference, I would advise you to get out of this business until you take more classes, CEU’s, and do at least 50 ride-alongs.

having performed over 2,000 home inspections over the past fifteen years in business, as well as taken aia ce credits for years as a designer, i’m confident in what i see 99% of the time. however, identification stickers in this home said “modular”, and the supporting data sheet referred to it as ‘modular’.

because virtually everything has been converted/remodeled, along with an addition that runs the length of the home, it is a particularly difficult situation.

i agree that if it walks like a duck, it probably is. so, thanks, mark and nick, and no thanks to mr. farnsworth. i have placed calls to the manufacturer, who builds both trailers and modular homes.

http://www.hawkeyeinspects.com (past nachi member)

Check to see if you can find a blue tag. Mods have blue tags, manufactured have red.

Sounds exactly like many of the modular homes we have here in San Diego. Most of our modular subdivisions were built in the late 1970s to early 1990s.

Double wide

So many classes, so little time.

This may help.

Call it a manufactured dwelling and it is done.

Potato patato, they can be the same thing, in Alberta the term modular is used for what anyone would call a mobile home, that was built to the provincial building code (oh, and probably made right here in Alberta) so what anyone else would call a mobile home has by statute become a ‘modular’.
I suspect Alberta did not make this up on their own, and that similar legal definitions exist elsewhere.

Modular and mobile homes are different in many respects.

What Are Modular Homes?
Modular homes are built in sections at a factory.
Modular homes are built to conform to all state, local or regional building codes at their destinations.
Sections are transported to the building site on truck beds, then joined together by local contractors.

What Are Manufactured Homes?

Formerly referred to as mobile homes or trailers, but with many more style options than in the past.
Manufactured houses are built in a factory.
They conform to a Federal building code, called the HUD code, rather than to building codes at their destinations.
Manufactured homes are built on a non-removable steel chassis.
Sections are transported to the building site on their own wheels.
Multi-part manufactured units are joined at their destination.
Segments are not always placed on a permanent foundation, making them more difficult to re-finance.
Building inspectors check the work done locally (electric hook up, etc.) but are not required to approve the structure.
Manufactured housing is generally less expensive than site built and modular homes.
Manufactured homes sometimes decrease in value over time.

Nice Roy. Who could ask for any more. :slight_smile:

Now ***THAT ***is the way to write a response!:stuck_out_tongue:
It was professional and to the point;-)
Keep up the good work!

Regards, Frank:nachi:

I wish I could take credit for it ,but it was plagiarism.

Well IMHO you did a great job of plagiarism\:D/:wink:

Your post also demonstrates the fact that you took the time and trouble to do some “research” for a fellow inspector that was in need. In my opinion this is what this message board was intended for and what it InterNachi is all about!
Inspectors… Helping other inspectors:p
Keep up the good work:nachi::nachi:

Warmest Regards, Frank:p

Thanks Roy. Very detailed explanation indeed.

Bert

Brother Frank
Where would we all be if knowledge wasn’t passed down?