Horizontal vent length

Hi All,

I was just looking for some thoughts on this. I’m going to be inspecting this house and I was going through the Realtor pictures. I was noticing a really long horizontal run for the furnace and hot water heater venting. Any rules on such a long horizontal run? I’m not sure if they are venting through the wall or the roof. I don’t have much details other then these two pictures.

Allowable horizontal length is based on total vertical rise. Also check the slope.

https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Gas-Water-Heater-Venting-Codes.php

3 Likes

Yep, could be just the picture but it looks awfully flat…

2 Likes

I don’t think that return air should be there…

1 Like

That pipe surely better not be venting laterally through the wall. That’s only for hi-efficiency PVC pipe with power vents (the furnace in your pic likely is power vented but still needs to vent up, water heater is natural draft and must vent up).

3 Likes

Know the slope, fastener requirements and hanger requirements for your area. The slope looks flat in the first picture but looks okay in the second picture. It could definitely use some hangers.

2 Likes

Look for an induced draft fan installed.

Check the backdraft on startup.
If it works, it’s working.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. Great information here. Its helped for sure!

Other folks please chime in… Is there a concern that two gas-fired appliances are sharing the same flue in close proximity to each other, in particular, taking into consideration of the length of relatively horizontal venting that would make it a bit harder to create a good draft? I would make sure that the water heater had no signs of backdraft near the vent hood, regardless. But, I might also turn down the thermostat on the water heater (to ensure it is not fired) and then use a CO meter at the water heater to make sure no exhaust from the furnace is escaping. Thoughts?

Common in my area and I do not consider it an issue unless I see other tell-tell signs.

2 Likes