House smelled of glade plug-ins

I inspected a house yesterday, with lots of moisture intrusion, and active leaks from roof. The whole house overwhelmingly smelled like glade plug-ins, I assume to cover the smell of mold. Note I did not see visible mold. Should I comment on this.

I would never comment on an assumption especially when it comes to mold. I would only comment on the active leak discovered during the inspection.

8 Likes

I agree with @mwilles

It could be pet odors, sewer gases etc.

However, plug-ins do put me on high alert.

(edit: I do keep personal notes on every home I inspect and take pictures of “odd things”. Plug-ins are a good example. I also take a photo of small cracks etc. that I may not report on but will make a note about size and location for later reference if needed)

5 Likes

Seeing/smelling odor eliminators is an “Observation” for you to question why. It is not a significant defect that goes in your report.

You found water leakage issues already, there is no reason to report “attempt to cover up”. Your not NCIS. :wink:

People frequently stink up their house when it is on the market to add an additional sensory stimulation to make the house appear more appealing. I did this as an REA when I held an open house etc. So don’t just go by smells when you can’t find something else.

8 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate the advice!

2 Likes

I do most of the time, especially if the house was vacant. It’s often a “cover-up” tactic, sometimes even encouraged by agents. Some homeowners are just “that type” though, and just want the house to be more appealing. Usally I have a good indication of things when I get all done with the house (smokers, pets, mold, etc.) Was the house occupied or vacant?

Some people just like those things…if the former occupants had dogs or smoked then it could be covering for those smells…or something more nefarious…I once inspected a house that had a fish smell…looked everywhere for the source and found none…I did note it in the report.

2 Likes

To add to the possible sources of a smell that would be covered up. My wife and I purchased a house where the glad plug ins were everywhere. We purchased it to fix, because it was in disrepair, and we assumed the plug ins were for the dogs the prior owner had, not to mention they lived like pigs. After getting in and doing the demo, we discovered rat droppings everywhere inside the floor joists from 1st level to finished basement.

Everyone’s sense of smell has differing sensitivities to different things. But after this experience if there is a pungent odor I note it as an information comment.

3 Likes

I put these odor observations in my reports and even some cosmetic issues depending on what they may be and what my experience is telling me the particular client might expect to be reported on a particular home.
In our market I would say 15-20% of my clients have not even visited the home in person, let alone had a chance to smell it…So many clients are putting offers in from out of state, they are not only depending on what I can see but what my other senses are picking up on.

If the home smells of Strawberry Pet Urine (nothing will cover up the odor of pet urine, especially that of cats) or if the home smells like Someone Pooped a Christmas Tree! you bet I will report on it (diplomatically of course…).

2 Likes

Valid! :joy: :joy:

Kinda surprised nobody has mentioned the potential for fire hazard from these devices… Is anyone randomly checking them for scorching or other indications of failure?
And yes, there has been recalls of these fresheners over the years!

3 Likes

I have seen air fresheners inside the indoor unit of a split AC system.

3 Likes
2 Likes

It ate my varnish off of my end table. Imagine what its doing to your lungs!

Welcome to our forum, David!..enjoy participating. :smiley: