How long is your ladder?

Telesteps - 10.5 feet for attics and 1 story ranches with decks to put ladder on. This one NEVER touches soil.

LG - 19 foot to use to get up on roofs up to 12’ off ground OR higher to place at eaves, but not climb on.

We don’t mount a roof off ladder higher than 12’.

We don’t walk any roofs with more than 6/12 pitch, nor do we walk tile, slate, clay or older wood roofs.

We walk any height commercial roof as long as its under 2/12 pitch and can be accessed from an elevator or stairway out onto the roof.

The roof was not accessed due to the height and slope being what we as NON-PROFESSIONAL roofers consider unsafe to climb or walk on. Our inspection is limited to what we could observe by … (binoculars, windows, etc, etc). It would be prudent to have a licensed and competent roofing contractor review the roofing system, its accessories and their conditions prior to leaving your inspection contingency period.

(I may use similar language if the roof is snow or frost covered, OR if its raining, etc).

My ladder is 17’. I may walk low sloped roofs, like a ranch. It’s a case-by-case decision. Tree debris, rain, shingle condition, age of roof, etc., must be considered. 75% of the time, I use binoculars or a ladder at the eave.

Before I climb any ladder, I always think of the scripture…

LOW, I will be with you always.”

:twisted:

1. What length of ladder do you use?
    16’ extension and a 6 foot step ladder
  2. What do you consider “too high” to safely inspect a roof from the eave?
    Anything over 1 story
  3. Do you walk on roofs?
    Yes
  4. If yes, up to what pitch?
    4/12 is my max comfort level.
  5. What wording do you have in your report/contract/agreement for height/pitch limitations?
    “safe” in the opinion of the inspector.
  6. Do you think your safety limitations meet the expectations of your clients
    No problems so far…

David Selman
Selman Home Inspections

On commercial projects I put in my quote that roof access is required. Most have a roof hatch and no need for any ladders.

But, I carry a two foot step ladder, 15.5’ extend/climb and 28’ fiberglass.

Randy