How long to save reports

Does Florida have a law on how long you have to hold on to a clients inspection report?
If not how long should you save the document for?

Sarasota home inspector

I have every report I have ever done. They are on cds, flash drives and two laptops and backup drives. I don’t think there is a requirement.

I have every report I ever did, some on paper :stuck_out_tongue: I also have every picture I ever took, just in case.

If you think IRS ! 7 years .

The IRS has nothing to do with storage of reports. Most state licensing requires 3 to 5 years.

Ditto.

My invoice is attached to the report.

I have them back to the very beginning, from 2007 as a part timer…This year (1-1-14) state licensing will be in effect, they will dictate how long I need to keep them, I imagine every state/province has a rule, if not consult your insurance carrier.

1999 still have all mine

I always destroyed mine after one year so that they could never be subpoena’d in a lawsuit. File cabinets… bad, bad. Hee hee.

I always destroyed mine after one year so that they could never be subpoena’d in a lawsuit.

Versus,

I have every report I ever did, some on paper :razz: I also have every picture I ever took, just in case.

Kinda says who’s confident in their abilities, huh? :wink:

State = 3 Yrs
IRS = 7 Yrs
CYA = ???

You decide how you want to run you business.
I agree with John - I have every one of them.

Fore warning - be prepared to buy a lot of back up drives!

I share my bed with an AR-15 that’s always loaded.
I share my office with a paper shredder that’s always on.

An AR is difficult to wield in a house for interior protection you should have a shotgun and a handgun.

I like this one made in my backyard

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg/

Don’t attack Nick in bed…he’s lible to shoot his pillow.

I have every report I have ever done since 2001 on hard drive. All photos also. You never know!!!

Related thread drift… http://www.nachi.org/forum/f13/online-agreement-tip-83806/

To answer your question-No, there is no FAC or standard for Florida at this time.
It is recommended to maintain records for three years. IRS doesn’t care per sae for reports as they do for bank accounts (show me the money) and regarding Nick’s comment on one year. Sounds good on the surface but if you have nothing to defend yourself against a frivolous suit ----don’t they win!!!

Ok thank you for all the answers, I guess what I will do is just upload the reports on to my google drive account, and just store them there so that if down the road I need to access the information it will be available to me.

Sarasota home inspector