How many code violations can you list?

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Attached is a picture of a few junctions I found in an attic while troubleshooting a light that wouldn't work.
http://electrical-contractor.net/jt/atticmessed.jpg

Photo By: Chris VanderWoude
Van's Electric, Inc.
Franklin, NC 28734

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

No PPE.

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

Plenty.

But that’s not the point. It’s is my understanding that as Home Inspectors, we are not Code Inspectors. Therein lies a big difference. The photo shows issues that the client will have the option of correcting (or not), when the transaction has been completed, or have the seller correct prior.

I try not to ever even mention the word “code” in my inspections and reports for fear of confusing the client as to why I am there and who I work for.

Originally Posted By: jschmidt

A hearty here here on the last post . Very important to get across the point that we are not code inspectors , and from a realtor/future customer standpoint , we should not give the impression that we " pass " or " fail "houses . In the case of this photo , I would write up exposed wiring , unsecured wiring , the lack of gang boxes and recommend the attention of an electrician IMMEDIATELY . In so many words .

What do y’all think ? I’m just a sprout .

James

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Taped splices.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Taped splices

No J box

Romex unsecured

Ok, how did I do?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Raymond and James,

I think you are missing what Joe is trying to teach us. We are not code inspectors but, we better darn well know the code. Yes we would write this up as something that needed immediate attention of an electrician. We should be able to explain to the customer why this need to be taken care of.

Thanks Joe for helping us. I greatly appreciate having you here to share with us.

Lee Trower

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Lee ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)

I can name 3 clear violations, not the least of which is that different coloured tape should have been used at the splices to denote the circuits ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Joe, thanks great picture.

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I can appreciate what Joe is trying to do, but as an inspector, it is not my job to point out code violations.

The example is clearly a mess. Sorry, but you comment on what you saw in the context of whether evaluation is required by a licensed electrical contractor. Would any of us list every violation in a report, even if we knew it? I doubt it.

Cool photo, though.

I mean, what could you say?

"A bundle of electrical cables and splices was discovered in the attic of the dwelling. Cables and splices were not found in an approved electrical enclosure, or ANY enclosure, for that matter. Splicing methodology is questionable. Cables are not marked, nor are they properly secured. Inspector strongly recommends an evaluation by a licensed electrical contractor prior to closing, as applicability of local and national electrical codes may be in question. Repair or reconfigure as necessary."

Plain language message to my client? The job is an abomination, and someone needs to fix it...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

If you touch this icon_eek.gif and that icon_eek.gif or those icon_eek.gif and icon_eek.gif I mean icon_eek.gif

"Proper correction of the amateur electric workmanship found in the attic should be completed by a qualified licensed electirican"

Add to thet “and the person who did this should be flogged severely”

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: jmyers

How about just the picture with the caption, “fubar”?

Now that says it all. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Richard Moore

Isn’t it around this point that someone always asks if this is a Main Service FUBAR or a Sub FUBAR and should the neutrals and grounds be seperated?

I thought that Joe's "how many code violations" was pretty miuch tongue-in-cheek rather than an attempt to turn anyone into a "Code Quoting Inspector". However, it is basic knowledge of the codes that tells us this unholy mess is unacceptable practice and needs repair by SWAC (Someone With A Clue). Aren't the majority of technical questions on this and other forums essentially code related?

Richard Moore

Code related, but not necessarily code SPECIFIC

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Great comments, thank you,

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Gee Joe,

Where do you start here on this picture. (obviously a scabber)

• No JB and the JB would be probably a 6x6x6 for all the wires.

• Flying splices never work

• Not to sure if the ground wires are even there, or are they cut off.

• The mounting wire they are suspended by certainly is not legal.

• The cables in the background as well are not secured either

• How many items are on that circuit? Imporoper load rating.

• Is that low voltage red wire I see traveling along through that rat’s nest.

• Hey, Where’s that guy’s P.P.E. (No safety glasses at minimum)

• The length of some of the wires in the splice ar not even the minimum six inches. (unless you use the Exceptain rule )

• Can you realy get 12 wires in a wire nut? (hahaha)

Bob P.

Originally Posted By: jschmidt

Joe - thanks for the picture . I wasnt attacking you or trying to sound ungrateful . excellent opportunity to discuss pertinent issues .

The Other Joe - I want to see me get into commercial buildings too , once I’m off the ground with some things . icon_mrgreen.gif That is a green smile for more money .

I dont know if this helps anyone - but in cases where Harry Homeowner is following you around and telling you about stuff he has done on the house NEVER EVEr take his word about where stuff goes or what it does . Example : " Oh those uninsulated , uncapped wires there - those dont go any where - I disconnected them a long time ago ." Yeah right . Write like the wind Bullseye ! Hope thats not too obvious a remark .

James