How strong is one nail?

Originally Posted By: ccoombs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Marcel

Very well written! However, there is one additional issue in the nail industry. The standards allow for a .04" variation in the wire diameter when manufacturing nails. The nail manufactures have taken this "variation" as a minimum standard and order smaller wire. So a 16d Common should have a .162" dia., but due to the "variation" they by .158" dia. wire.

There is one way to insure you have the correct nail size: Trackers!

--
Curtis

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Let's put this nail issue to rest by me saying that all B. S. aside on the technical version of the nail, in me saying that being in Construction all my life, I proved to myself that a 16 penny nail could support my weight of 170 pounds in shear walking on a two by four 8 feet long on the flat.
No knots. ha. ha.

Obviously I drove the nail in myself.

A structural Engineer once told me that their design values are based on a safety factor not knowing how the nail would be driven. Therefore, a cushion of safety factor comes to play.

Usually, the Engineers will submit design criteria of 85% and add anywheres from 20 to 25 percent safety factor in their calculations for human error on installations.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: lewens

Marcel

Just for my general fund of knowledge, what is a sinker? Does the industry in the US not use “ardox”? Or are we talking about the same thing. If we are I would think an ardox nail would have more shear strength trhat a common nail.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: lgoodman

Around here it is short hand for"cement coated sinker" and is referenced as “c.c.” or “sinker”. Cement coated means it is factory coated with vinyl which melts from friction as it is being driven and recools and integrates with wood fibers for superior WITHDRAWAL resistance. I’m guessing that the sinker part refers to its slender shank which allows for easier driving but decreases it’s shear strength. I have been told to never use a sinker if there is shear force involved.

I will now wait to be corrected on any of these notions I have come to believe.

“Ah ha”

He said in a deep and manly voice.

Thank you for the info. So I guess the second part of the question is, no , you don’t use ardox nails.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com

Originally Posted By: lgoodman

What is ardox?

icon_biggrin.gif

Larry, hope you are fine.

Sinker nails are usually designed with a checkered head design and meant to sink flat and flush when driven.

They a usually coated for holding power but also thinner in profile or diameter gauge if you wish which would mean that if I am standing on a 2x4 nailed on one end, I would use a regular 16D Common.

What in the world is Ardox?????

Marcel

Originally Posted By: lkage

mcyr wrote:
What in the world is Ardox?????Marcel

Ardox nails are produced from spirally drawn wire. The result is a nail that is easier to drive while displaying a 50 to 200% increase in holding power over smooth shank nails.

Quote from: http://www.stelwire.com/nails.html

Also they reduce the risk of splitting.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Marcel and all you other US wood peckers.

This is right up there with the Robertson screw. You know the square headed screw that we have been using up here for about 60 years that the US finally caught on to.

An ARDOX nail is a fastener made with twisted wire. They come in all sizes from 1" finishing to 12" spikes or longer to fasten together landscaping ties. If you think a coated nail is a tough pull try to yank out the standard framing nail up here which is a 3 1/4" ardox. They come coated, hot dipped galvanized, stainless, bright and there is even a company manufacturing ardox for nailing guns. You should try to pull a 4" galvanized ardox that has been sunk into pressure treated deck framing. It’ll pull your shoulder out of the socket. You guys have to get with the program.

Marcel if you are going to Orlando in Feb. I will make you a gift of a box of 3 1/4" ardox and spoil you.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com

After that last post you guys I guess it’s time to eat some crow so I will admit that the first time I ever saw sanding screens was when I went to visit my uncle in Hartford way back when and was dumbfounded when he showed me the things. It took another 5 to 6 years before we could convince the lumber yareds up here it was worth while importing them.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Thank you guys, I guess that is why this BB is available so we can all enjoy the knowledge one is willing to give and share.

Larry; Do you mean that when my father was telling me to nailing down this underlayment before the floor finish, and had to be nailed with spiral hard nails 1 1/2" long every 6' square pattern, that these were Ardox nails!!

We I'll be darn! I thought I was just driving more nails than I had too. ha. ha.

My father, you did not ask questions, you learned by doing what he said.
Not quite the proper way, you pick up on your on after awhile.

Thanks guys for something new.

Marcel

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Hey! Larry,

the dictionary says the this ARDOX is not a word. Spell check did not pick it up.

Marcel

Marcel

Ardox is a trade name as is Ski Doo most people call a snow machine a ski doo but these days it could be a Kawasaki. Ardox has become a generic term for twisted wire nails.

Your Dad taught like mine, if he said the moon was black you just accepted it and moved on. I wish it was like that now. Common nails up here are a thing of the past even though you can still buy them. I have to admit I have never heard of a “sinker”.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the info Larry. Learn something new everyday.

Marcel