One for the Wind Mit Gurus

I would love you guys opinion. This is a new one for me.

1985 house in Delray Beach. Client claims original roof.

These roof to deck attachments were every 6" or less everywhere I looked.

They look like drill bits and I have no idea what to classify them as. I would think it would be the same as a 8d nail and I will likely mark C but would sure love you guys input.

Thanks in advance.

W T F.JPG

If they were every 6 inches, what went into the beam / truss?

Spiral shank nails have greater withdrawl strength than common or box nails.

I agree, as a mater of fact on the proposed OIR-B1 1802 (Rev.08/11) Item #3 asks us to identify the nail type such as this “Spiral” or “Twist” shank nail.

Pretty uncommon though to find them on a 1985 home that has not been re-roofed.

We need to do all we can to stop that crap. Do not just stand by and accept it. 8D or equivalent is all we should have to say. We must get rid of these new requirements of providing pictures for the insurance companies to abuse as they see fit.

We all must demand the photo requirements are removed for a great many reasons.

I spoke to an inspector who has had two guys so far go thru ceilings trying to get those damn shots. Lets make the oir correct their mistakes before someone gets killed

[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]On the Treasure Coast, I see alot of spiral shank nails. But only on re roofs. Most roofs of that vintage, were orignally stapled.

“Any system of screws, nails, adhesives, other deck fastening system or
truss/rafter spacing that has an equivalent mean uplift resistance of 182 psf.”

The spiral shank nails I usually see don’t have the same gold finish as my Craftsmans drill bit set. Your picture realy does look like a drill bit. You wouldn’t be playing a joke on us?
[/size][/FONT]

I had one of these re-inspected the other day. They pulled the credit because these nails are not as long as an 8d common, even though they called it an 8d. When I tried to fight it they said they found “a” location where they were spaced at 7".

This is what they wrote:
“Reason: The roof deck is nailed with 8d box nails (2.375” long) spaced at 6" or more on center on panel edges, 8d box nails would need to be spaced at 5" or less along panel edges or nailed with 8d common nails (2.5" long) spaced at 6" or less along panel edges to qualify for Intermediate (Deck B) or Superior (Deck C) roof deck rating. As currently nailed, this qualifies as a “Deck A” roof deck attachment."

These nails are generally a bit shorter but a deformed shank nail can have TWICE the uplift of a common nail. They also pulled the hip roof discount based on the new form(not the old form which my report was written on).

Bottom line, do not give them the satisfaction, do them right.

see attached

Not this time :slight_smile:

it is what I saw. I am going to suggest she does a little reasearch on that roof.

Thanks to all so far who have offered their advice and opinions.

Your pic does look like a drill bit. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know and no one can say that that picture is not good enough.

They all looked the same.

I did look around and did not see anywhere that had old staples. I am now curious to weather it was original or not. I cannot remember seeing anything like them from that era.

Come on Bonner chime in.

What are you on vacation or something :slight_smile:

Mike, check the roof to see if there’s a drill attached to the other end of that bit.:slight_smile:

John, that reinspection report is unbelievable. Do you know if the results of the reinspection are based on the actual training the reinspector received? It seems to me there are two sets of rules here…one for the 1802 and another set for the reinspections.

Mike I would have if I did not see them everywhere :slight_smile:

I would say that you hit the nail on the head but, I think people on both sides make it up as they go along. Then they change it. :twisted:

That report was based on an old wind mit form.

attachment-c, based on your data

thanks I knew you weren’t on vacation. You were probably still working :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing that, John. Mike, that drill bit doesn’t look like any spiral shank nail I’ve ever seen. Looks like a $2.00 bit to me.

[attach]47624[/attach]

MIke,
I would suggest that the client look to see if there were permits pulled for the re-roof. If the home was built in 1985, that makes the roof roughly 26 years old. Not many last that long.

As Bill eluded to, I would suspect that the roof was replaced after Wilma and re-nailing was done.
Unfortunately, missing the trusses like that is not an indication of nails nailed every six inches.

It is an example of A) a blatant code violation, and B) a violation of the APAs decking nailing instructions.
Nowhere does it say, “Nail the roof decking into thin air”.
It does however say, “Nail into the framing members”.

I would almost be positive that the nails in the picture were not invented in 1985.