how to call this out????

From today’s inspection not sure if this is of any concern the pic is of propane tanks located close to a dryer vent. I don’t think it is of concern because the vent really isn’t considered an ignition source, but you thoughts and comments are welcome.

propane tank and vent.jpg

The vent is broken and needs replaced.

What do these tanks service?

called out the vent, and the tanks service the dryer and stove

Tanks are small for that appication and at a minimum should be secured in place.

Propane tanks are supposed to be min 25 ft from dwellings & with ends directed away from house. Big tanks anyway. Looks like some kind of redneck retrofit project…

If that’s a window to the left out of frame the location is unacceptable

The piping should be protected from impact and secured to the structure, imo

I note that for safety reasons the peramanant installed appliances should have a properly installed gas supply.

http://www.regoproducts.com/Old/location2.gif

Another thing that is of concern is the wall where the supply line passes through stucco (cement product with metal lath)
I’d think a sleeve should be in place so no direct contact with the copper piping occurs, potentially causing corrosion or dielectric failure at that junction.

The tanks in the post is obviously make shift set-up by the owner so they can exchange tanks at will.
A propane supplier would not fill those on site with this set-up.
Those are what we call 20# tanks.

Usually this would be the set up, with one or two tanks, determined by the usage.
These are 120 gallon tanks.

ABOVE-GROUND TANKS
200 gallon30" diameter x 79" long Holds 160 gallon
250 gallon 30" diameter x 94" long Holds 200 gallon
320 gallon 30" diameter x 119" long Holds 256 gallon
500 gallon37" diameter x 119" long Holds 400 gallon
1000 gallon41" diameter x 193" long Holds 800 gallon

The Law requires these tanks to be placed upon a solid masonry footing or foundation. Sometimes a contractor will pour a pad to place the tank upon.

The propane tank must be more than ten (10) feet from a building and more than ten (10) feet from a source of ignition or combustible materials and property line.

• Tanks greater than 500 gallon capacity require greater distances. All propane tanks should be painted with light-colored, reflecting paint.

http://www.kampspropane.com/images/V120photo.jpg

Marcel:)

They look like tanks off a BBQ grill…

They are. this is common down here to see this. we don’t have natural gas, here is everything is propane/LP. Most homes here don’t even have heat in them and the only use for propane is for cooking, hot water or for a clothes dryer. So it is cheaper for people that have an electric water heater to have this setup, then to have something that is more of a head ache to schedule someone to come out and fill it once in a blue moon and pay a big bill.

I have a 100 gallon tank that is filled once every three months. We don’t use a whole lot of propane.

Marcel:

Propane tanks up here are installed as in the picture- right beside the building- but a couple of references have said 10’ from the building. Comments??

I would verbally suggest a larger tank with a guage :mrgreen: be properly installed and in my report “consult with a local propane supplier or certified gas technician”.
Another safety issue is with trips to the refill depot with 20 pounders rolling around in the trunk.:mad:

Hi. Brian;

With my experience in using propane over the years for temporary heating of structures and shelters, the limit to the ten feet around here is 500 gal. or more.

They also require a hard pipe going through the structure and you are limited to a 6 ft. section of flexible hose.

The 250’ called pigs around here, which are uprights, do not matter.

Each Jurisdiction might have different set of rules, so I would check with local athorities.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Would’n dem bombs be best in the bed o yer pick’em up?