How to determine type of roof

But every once in a while we see something new or that we’re not familiar with for one reason or another.
Ask questions on the boards anytime you feel like it. Don’t let anyone intimidate you into not asking something.
Also… these boards have an “ignore” feature. If there is a particular poster that you don’t want to hear from, you can use that feature to avoid having to read their posts.

Build Up Roofing.
Look at the acronym, BUR.

A width of felt paper is 36" inches. Within 36" inches see how many ply lines there are.

That roof look like a 4 ply roof. Normally there is a dry ply underneath so the first moped ply does not adhere to the deck.
The tar is moped on at 550 degrees F. After gravel is applied so the UV rays do not dry out the bitumen oils in the tar plys. It you look at the parapet wall you should be able to count the stripping plys.

A hot dirty hard job and someone had to do it. I did for many years.

My report may read:
Observation: BUR roofing system.
Defect: in the parapet wall stripping.
Deficiencies: No arrogate, subject to rapid further degrading.
Suspect: Leaking and weather intrusion.
Recommend: A licensed roofer evaluate the costs of repairs/replacement.

To answer your clients question.
Tell him no, new flashing AND COPPING will not allow 3 to 5 years without issues.

Never give answers to those questions Leon. Your stay as a home inspector will be very short I feel.
Please reach out to some of the older members and get some more education under your belt.
Kenton and Marcel did a very commendable job on all types and styles of roofing.
Read more about in please.
Call me any time.