"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

please forgive if I’ve missed something but this is all I’m seeing in this course regarding the vents under the mobile home. I was looking to double check for spacing requirements

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This image provides a great visual representation of the foundation required for a manufactured home that will not be placed on a permanent foundation. Distance between piers (within +/- 6") as well as the pier distance to the exterior walls are all important to make sure that the manufactured home is properly supported.

Research & Writing Assignment:

In the real estate business, there are going to be situations in which the home inspection report is used past its primary purpose. The article, “What Happens When Your Inspection Report Gets Recycled?” outlines situations in which your home inspection report can be misrepresented as the current condition of the house/property. Inspections are a snapshot in time and in some states recycled reports are illegal. It is always good to negotiate a re-inspection if there are questions or concerns.

The article I chose was “Private Water Wells” and since the majority of my manufactured home inspection uses private wells I felt the necessity of understanding how it works and what kind of regulation it haves.
We are not allowed or instructed to test the water but surely we can identify elements that can contaminate the well like septic tanks, petroleum tanks, pesticide storage, etc. The are many ways we can protect buyers just identifying elements that can put on risk their health.

Today I choose to write about the importance of electrical safety and also the importance of being a through inspector.
Being a home inspector is not a easy job. Crawling through attics, crawlspaces and other confin areas at times is not

Today I choose to write about the importance of electrical safety and also the importance of being a through inspector.
Being a home inspector is not a easy job at times. Crawling through attics, crawlspaces and other confined areas is

This is a picture of a central forced air system installed in an equipment closet. The heating portion of the system is fueled by natural gas. The dirty air filter of the system should be changed. The system is in in good working condition.

Wood stoves may be used in a mobile home provided they are rated for that use. If a wood stove is used in a mobile or manufactured home they are required to obtain combustion air from the exterior of the home.

This is a picture of a mobile home door. Each mobil home is required to have two doors to provide proper egress in the event of an emergency. Bedrooms that do not have a door to the exterior are required to have a window with a large enough area to provide egress.

All homes are made up of several key components and/or systems. There are seven key systems; interior and exteriors walls, windows, and doors; Heating and/or HVAC; basement and/or crawlspaces; fireplace; roof and attic; electrical, and plumbing. Some inspectors inspect homes and provide their report divided into the key systems. Some perfom by room and others use a combination of the two systems and rooms.

Mobile, aka modular, homes come in many sizes. These are homes primarily constructed to strict building standards in a climate controlled factory environment on a steel chassis then transported to the building site. A typical size per unit is 8 feet in width by 40 feet in length. multiple units, typically 2, can be transported then assembled together on site to form and larger house. On site the mobile home can be installed on a permanente foundation, basement like, structure or, on individual pilings spaced according to manufacturers standards for optimal support and strength.

This is a very old Model Home with a garage canopy. The roof needs replacing. They’ve built a small addition that really needs to be torn down. It looks like they are trying to put a gable roof on it or maybe a Ramanda roof on it. The frame of the new roof has been there for a long time and is not safe and could blow down at any time.

When you are running new outlets you want to make sure you using the right cable. You can run 12 gauge wire with a 20 amp circuit. GFCIs need to be run on outdoor circuits and in garages. Ceiling Fans are a great way to keep a room cool and are easy to install.

Pictured is a typical skirting for a manufactured home in the area in which I live. Skirting should be made of a material that will stand up to the elements. There should be an access to the crawlspace built into the skirting and also should be well ventilated.

The article I read was manufactured homes from the internachi library. Mobile homes started to be called manufactured homes in the 1980’s. the manufacturing of these homes is regulated by HUD. There are data plates installed on all homes that give information including manufacturer, date and address.

Here we see a standard-set foundation with a poured concrete footing with a prefabricated pier. However, there is no vapor barrier on the ground. Vapor retarder of at least .006" of continuous black membrane needs to be installed on the ground of any enclosed crawlspace.

I read the article on waterproofing basements, all of which occur outside the home. The first line of defense is diverted water away from the foundation by using gutters and downspouts to divert rainfall away from the foundation, and sloping the finish grade away from the house for 10-15 feet. The second line of defense is repairing any cracks or holes with epoxy/latex cement mixtures, and the final stand is using a waterproof sealant on the exterior foundation wall. Using all three measures will ensure that the basement stays dry, which reduces the risk of mold, rotting, or peeling paint.

A tie down anchoring system was observed. The anchoring system secures and stabilizes the manufactured home to resist uplift and lateral movement from excessive wind and storm conditions. Anchoring systems are typically required for home transactions depending on loan requirements.

A tie down anchoring system was observed. The anchoring system secures and stabilizes the manufactured home to resist uplift and lateral movement from excessive wind and storm conditions. Anchoring systems are typically required for home transactions depending on loan requirements.