"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Centerline Anchors are required to have hot dipped galvanized material, to prevent it from corroding in the soil. This centerline anchor is meant to tie down, and hold together both sections of a multi section Manufactured Home at the marriage line. The tie straps should be designed to prevent self disconnection.

Research & Writing Assignment:

Tyvek, or DuPont Tyvek is a synthetic, high density polyethylene fiber used in homes as a moisture barrier and used by inspectors as a coverall to prevent contact with hazardous materials. The fiber is 7 times finer than hair, and are bonded under heat and pressure. It has 2 forms, hard structure tyvek, and soft structure tyvek. Hard structure is mainly used for tarps, homes, tents, etc. Soft structure is used mostly for fabrics. It has a high strength to weight ratio and is water resistant and in some types, is fire resistant. In other cases, it will burn at 750 degrees Fahrenheit and is weak to sunlight.

For my research I chose “Crawlspace Hazards and Inspection”. This informative article covers the various hazards associated with inspecting crawlspaces. Insects, animals as well as mold and fungus occupy crawlspaces and the inspector must be aware. Using the proper PPE is essential. An inspector should always notify someone that he/she is inspecting a crawlspace in the event that an encounter with one of the many hazards takes place.

This photo is of the HUD certification plate found on one section of a manufactured home. It is made of aluminum and is permanently attached to the home with rivets. The plate contains the manufacturer code and the unit serial number as required.

The pictured floor supply register and grille contained damage and no longer operated as intended. Damage to the damper system would not allow unit to close. The damaged grille was a tripping hazard; did not diffuse air properly; and no longer met the concentrated load requirement. Objects and debris were also observed in the supply duct below the unit.

Modular vs. Manufactured Homes Article
Modular home and manufactured home are distinct terms that should not be used interchangeably. Modular home refers to a construction practice were the home is constructed in a controlled factory environment in modules, or blocks, that are transported to a build site for module assembly on a site-prepared foundation. Modular home vs on-site built home construction is generally higher quality; require less time to construct; more energy-efficient; and cost less.
Manufactured home is a term used today for mobile or trailer homes. They are less expensive that modular or site-built homes and are not built to the same standards. The homes are generally smaller, constructed as: single, double, or triple wide models. Like modular homes, manufactured homes are built in factories. Finished units are transported on their own steel chassis to a site where the wheels are removed, and home secured to a foundation system.
Reference: https://www.nachi.org/modular-manufactured-homes.htm

This picture was taken in the crawl space of a home. It has been detected that the insulation in the crawl space was incorrectly installed. The insulation should be installed with the vapor barrier facing up toward the cooled / heated living area of the home. It is recommended that this be corrected to eliminate moisture issues.

Efflorescence is the white chalky powder that is normally found on the surfaces of brick or block walls. This becomes visible after the evaporation of water in which it was transported. Porous materials absorb or wick water, this process is known as the capillary action. This is usually a visual indication of water intrusion to the foundation which could just be cosmetic or lead to structural or air quality issues.

There was a lot of issues in this picture first this is the only access to the under side of the house and you would have to be very small to fit past all the stuff they put in the way.Second they had the door secured with screws to limit the access.

I studied garage inspection and learned to watch for inadequate framing and framing modifications of the trusses and other framing members. Also that they need to be bearing on top of the wall. You should always inspect the trusses for damaged clips if possible.

this is a RTM home that I inspected the home is 20 years in age walking on the roof it was found it had a soft spot having inspection done out side with all photos taken next was the attic its was found it has broken rafters this was in my report and problem fixed

this the second time I gave this report this a RTM home I inspected walking the roof it was found on one area it was soft to walk on when it was time to inspect the attic it was clear broken rafters contractor advised and repaired

This is an older metal engineered leveling pier that is showing major rust and deterioration of the metal at the base of the frame. This is good example on why It is important to inspect all of the piers that you can readily access.

It is very common in my area that lenders will not finance mobile homes if the mobile is not on or attached to a permanent foundation. A good marketing tool is to provided the real estate agents that you deal with, an explanation of the difference between a Standard Set foundation and one that would be considered a permanent foundation. That way they could let their clients know upfront whether a mobile could be financed or not.

There is vegetation in contact with the siding. Vegetation can cause damage and premature deterioration to the siding. Location: All sides and roof. Trim or relocate any plants and trees to provide at least a one foot air space around the home. The siding is too close to, or in direct contact with, the ground. This is conducive to moisture damage and wood destroying insect infestation. Location: Front and rear siding. Remove the ground from direct contact with the siding. A 6-inch clearance is recommended.

I choose the image “Termite Activity in the U.S.” The pacific northwest is labeled region 3, with slight to moderate termite activity. Washington State can be further broken down to West and East sides of the Cascade mountains. The West side of Washington has dampwood termites. They are part of the forest ecosystem, breaking down fallen trees and logs. They grow wings and swarm at the end of summer (last week) looking to establish new nests. This termite type only infests wood with a very high moisture content. So is seldom a problem for dry, well maintained homes. During a home inspection dampwood termites can be found near long term roof or plumbing leaks. Or, anywhere wood is saturated.

This picture shows the existence of a singular open-hook end of a tie on only one side of the manufactured home at one end on the main frame.

Unless otherwise specified in the anchoring equipment manufacturer’s installation instructions, anchoring devices should be installed on both sides of the manufactured home, with a maximum spacing of 11 feet on center, and no more than 2 feet from each end, according to InterNACHI.

Tie materials should be designed to prevent self-disconnection when the ties are slack, said the InterNACHI training materials. Open hook-ends should not be used in any part of the anchoring system, according to InterNACHI.

As such, a qualified structural engineer should evaluate and repair or replace the ties as necessary and according to current standards.

For my essay, I’m reviewing a consumer-targeted article posted by InterNACHI entitled “Manufactured Housing and Standards.” One important takeaway from the article is that the term “mobile home” is no longer accurate term for a manufactured home, as fewer than 5% of such homes are ever moved off of the owner’s original site. So I will call those types of homes manufactured homes instead of mobile homes. Another important lesson is that the installation of a manufactured home is important in ensuring that the home is level so that the doors and drawers in the home can open and close properly. Always ask a homeowner for the installation instructions before inspecting the home. Sometimes they have them, sometimes they don’t.

This is a photo of the chassis or frame of a manufacture home. This photo shows the two main i-beams that run the length of the chassis in which all straps or tie downs will be mounted to. The outriggers are shown on either side of the i-beams and should never be attached to tie downs.

Living in a manufactured home, the energy consumed can be easily managed through routine maintenance as well as annual inspections. Simply replace incandescent lights with more energy efficient products, consider better ways to block heat and retain the cool air with either curtains or blinds even. You may also consider staying up to date with the most efficient electronics to make sure your’e not using outdated appliances that draw more power than newer items.