"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The picture shown is called efflorescence on concrete block, this occurs when water is present and dissolves and transport the salt to the surface. In this case there was plenty of water seeping through the concrete block and due to the lack of a proper ventilation and air flow, was also standing water in the space under the Manufactured home. Vapor barrier was also missing. I recommended the proper fix of adding a vapor barrier and sealing the concrete block.

Research & Writing Assignment:

The article about manufactured homes versus modular homes was quite interesting. Few things that picked up on was that a manufactured home was built in a factory and transported to the build site and takes up too 14 weeks to complete. It was also interesting that these home held up better to other homes during hurricane Andrew. The Modular home is what was also called a mobile home or trailer because the home was built on a chassis and when inspected does not re inspected, but do not have to be structurally approved by an inspector.

During an inspection of a mobile home on a permanent cinder block foundation, I found numerous cross members (riggers) detached from the under carriage (chassis) of the home. There was evidence of prior moisture intrusion in numerous areas around the perimeter. Upon further inspection, the source most likely was from the perimeter of the roof.

Electrical overloads are a fire hazard and an accident waiting to happen. Thermal imaging will detect any electrical anamolies such as over loading on circuit breakers and condustors or, if applicable, water intrusion from a leaking mast head. Thermal imaging is a very useful tool to utilize .

This is an old 1933 crawlspace,with old brick piers and a lot of movement of the structure found on the zip level.I recommended further inspection and repairs by a skilled trade,also wrote up zero ventilation,old brick piers,rot in subfloor and Noted replacement of galvanized steel plumbing was outdated and could brake during re level

Foundation cracks.I would say 8 out of 10 Central Texas Homes have constrictive soils and move with weather conditions.I personally (at the dismay of my inspector friends)us e a compulevel and that indicated movement…Most of the 20 percent that I refer out on will show drywall and masonry cracking and will crack like stair steps,through the masonry and along corners of doors and windows

This water heater in a manufactured home was hard to find. Usually the water heater is behind a access panel that is part of the wall. This house also had furniture in front of it. Once you find the water heater be careful to remove the screws. This particular unit was a replacement because the installer used a tacky/cheap method to stabilize the unit. Also a tacky/cheap way to hold the wire feed in place. You cannot see it but the installer did use a bushing to protect the wire entering the water heater. I also made sure the floor was still stable and the water heater was in a drip pan that was plumbed into the crawl space.
Since this was electric no vent was needed and this does not constitute as a storage unit since this is not easily accessible.

My essay is on Modular vs. Manufactured home. In my inspecting career I have run into both. Modular is simply stick built at another location and has to follow all standards of practice and will be more rigid because it will be moved and joined. These house can come in several sections and several stories. Banks do not hesitate to loan on these units. I have nothing but good things on modular homes. Now manufactured homes, you can find high end well built and hardly anything wrong except maybe if you see polybutylene still being used as the water source. Then you have the cheap manufactured homes and there is so much to write about. Especially if Mr. Homeowner does repairs not up to standard. Roofs are usually the question because there is no attic. I did a manufactured home where the homeowner replaced the roof and did away with the ridge vent. I recommended putting in a vent, putting up gutters because the crawl was flooded and put a sump in the crawl because the house had high humidity… One year later the buyer called me saying I missed something, her roof was wavy the hold black mold coming out at the joint strip in the ceiling. Looking around there was no gutters, a flooded crawl still and no ventilation in the roof. She said she didn’t think my recommendations meant anything if the seller didn’t want to do them. She wanted me to admit I was wrong so she could get a new roof. Her realtor never used me anymore because I didn’t help her. It was her realtor that ignored everything for a quick sale instead of doing corrections.

When inspecting double pain windows it is sometimes difficult to know if they have lost the barrier seal in the window. I have come across many windows that are dirty, early morning haze or a cloudy day might have an affect on the clarity of the window. I am very careful on what I put in my report and come back to those windows multiple times during my inspection to see if any changes have occurred before I make the entry in my report.

I have as of yet to do an inspection on a trailer, but I will probably have to take alot of pictures and do some research before I send my report to my customer. Their are alot of rules to the foundation and measurement requirements on where things should be in a manufactured home. I will be using the study guide that was part of the training to assist me with my report.

When inspecting a manufactured home, it was observed that there was no proper crawl space opening due to deck construction and plumbing piping, no other access was provided. Also noted was the skirting provided for the home was in direct contact with the dirt surface was untreated lumber. A permanent addition had been added with a foundation however the roof section had been modified No documentation for engineered approval was available for the modifications. It was concluded due to poor workmanship a structural engineer was recommended to review.

When studying this course for manufactured homes even with a barrier installed on the floor system it still needs a vapor barrier which would have to be overlapped and sealed to meet HUD requirements . The barrier should be sealed around all piers and edges.

in this picture you can see that the ground under the mobile home is covered by a moisture barrier. the foundation appears to be properly ventilated and insulated under the mobile home. also the pre fabricated piers are on the proper footings.

I read the article called modular vs. manufactured homes. modular homes are homes that are built in a factory and transported in sections to the building site. manufactured homes are mobile homes. the article discusses the various differences and advantages between the two.

Skirting: On this mobile home the skirting is non-existent in some locations. Where there is skirting, we have a mish-mash of lattice panel, decorative fencing, some type of masonry with extra bricks along the bottom run. The wooden aspects are either not proper material nor installed correctly. The large openings are a potential danger for children who wouldnt know better to not play underneath the mobile home and also larger critters (e.g. raccoons) could possibly make be nesting there.

Material Defects: A major point made in the article Material Defects Defined for Home Inspectors is that even though some component of a house may be near its defined end of life cycle, does not make it a defective component. As such it is important to understand what is a material defect since we are required to report only those elements. Ive seen reports that are divided into emergent type of symptoms needing immediate attention and another section stating that those list items are to be monitored and may require scrutiny at a later date.
This may make for a very large and worrisome report and I believe it is enough to adhere to InterNachis SoP to guide the inspector as to what needs to be included and what can be dropped from an over zealous report.

Porches and open floor areas of mobile homes are permitted to use lattice or open skirting; however, the perimeter of the living space must use an approved closed skirting with a minimum of 8 vents located on 3 sides of the home.

I chose the gallery image entitled “block pier.” This image depicts the proper configuration of a block pier foundation for a manufactured home. A footing, an 8X8X16" double stacked block, and a 4" solid cap. It also depicts proper black vapor barrier.

OSB skirting was found to be present under this manufactured home. The skirting should not be of a material that will be damaged from moisture or ground contact. Additionally, supporting members should also consist of treated lumber or another product rated for ground contact

In aorder to prevent excessive moisture conditions under a manufactured home, the sub-structure should be properly ventilated with crawlspace vents on at least three side. Additionally, a proper vapor barrier should be installed covering all the earth below the home.