"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

November 08,2018 i inspected a home with two crawlspaces. There was only access to one of them. The original part of the home has no crawlspace access or vents and this addition had one vent on the front and one vent on the back of the crawlspace so aside from not enough vents, they were covered with mulch. The vapor retarder was not sealed and has several holes in it. Moisture had got into it pulling it down and turning the insulation black. With lack of ventilation water was dripping down everywhere. They have some improvements to make here as well as making access to the other crawlspace. I can only imagine the condition it is in.

Research & Writing Assignment:

November 08, 2018 i inspection this crawlspace which was under a 11 year old addition. The original part of the home also had a crawl space but no access and no vents. This crawlspace had a vent at the front and one at the back. There are two issues, not enough vents and the two that were there were covered with mulch. This crawlspace is getting no air flow as you can see the colour of the insulation and the vapour retarder is not sealed so water got in causing it to get heavy and come down .Water is dripping down everywhere. I can only imagine the condition of the older unvented crawlspace

This manufactured home skirting is well built with proper ventilation installed. The materials will hold up to the extremes of weather and no gaps or openings were visible. Frost heave was taken into consideration and accounted for in the design and construction.

In reading about central vacuum systems, I was surprised to learn that they date back as far as the 1850’s. They eventually lost some of the public’s favor due to the higher price when portable models became widely available. Thanks to larger homes, though, central vacuums began making a comeback in the 1990’s. Today we enjoy the convenience of improved air quality, quieter motors, and higher performance of a vastly improved cleaning system.

This crawlspace was inspected just last week, among the deficiencies found there were also vapor barrier on the ground cover that was missing, spliced and exposed wiring that were not protected or installed by junction boxes and wood shims were missing on all of the piers. Over all the crawlspace wasn’t bad.

Among the many hazards of inspecting a crawlspace I was surprised to learn a new hazard called “hantavirus”. Since crawlspaces go mostly unchecked hantavirus is common in these areas due to rodent droppings and the lack of UV radiation. UV radiation can inactivate the virus. The most important lesson to learn to to always use your PPE prior to entering any crawlspace.

The skirting on the mobile home did not appear to be adequate to prevent intrusions from rodents. It is recommended that the skirting be replaced with a solid material. Rodents can damage electrical wiring and destroy insulation and duct work under the home.

Mobile homes must be anchored into the ground to prevent a high wind event from turning the home over. Tie downs must be secured to the anchors and tightened down to prevent movement of the structure. Tie down installation must be performed by a professional.

Piers for a mobile home , or piers for a manufactured home are more than important they can save a home from disaster. Strong winds and bad weather can lift a home off of the ground. Piers with anchors may keep a house from moving and stop a problem from happening.

Fire in any home will cause damage to that unit .Fire to a mobile home can be worse because of the speed at which the fire can travel.Mobile homes burn much faster than a framed home so getting out is the top priority.

The grading at the site for the permanent foundation of this mobile home has not been prepared in a manor that allows water to drain away from the foundation. The crawl space is currently flooded with two or more inches of water.

When buying a Manufactured home there are many factors to consider. What is the scope and duration of the manufacturers warranty? Is the intended property zoned and approved for manufactured homes? What is the cost of SIte preparation, transportation, and home installation? It is important to answer all these questions before finalizing a deal to buy a manufactured home.

This photo was taken on an inspection of a manufactured home I performed several months ago. This issue is something I have seen on almost every inspection with a standard-set foundation. The under floor sheeting had been cut, and the insulation removed to accommodate plumbing repairs. No one ever seems to re-install insulation and repair the sheeting. I always recommend having these items completed, or someone will likely be back under there making the more repairs the following winter.

I read the article entitled "Manufactured Housing and standards. I found it interesting that manufactured home warranties are similar to automobile warranties, in that there are manufacturer warranties, retailer warranties, and appliance warranties. Sometimes, the manufacturer will provide the warranties on the appliances, and sometimes not. One must read all warranties before purchasing to assure proper coverage, including transportation and setup. Also, some states prohibit manufactured homes from being sold as-is, which would be an omission of an implied warranty, which is basically one trusting that the home is fit for sale and occupancy.

Crawl spaces need to be adequately ventilated. Debris in crawl spaces should be removed. Debris on the soil in the crawl space can lead to termite damage and harborage points for vermin. Hanging insulation should be reported. Damp soil should be reported.

There are many causes of death. the leading cause of death is Heart disease. The second leading cause is Cancer. Smoking contributes to alot of types of cancer and is the third leading cause of death in the U.S. The least amount of deaths is caused by shark attacks.

During the inspection today I noticed shimming between the post and beam in the crawl space. This lacks a secure attachment between the structural members and is not considered standard construction. Have this area assessed and repaired by a qualified contractor.

Amperage rating for residential cable consists of both aluminum and copper conductors. Since Copper is more conductive that aluminum the gauge can be smaller. AWG Stands for American Wire Gauge and the smaller the number is, the bigger the conductor is.

The underside of a mobile home is covered with a plastic sheet, called a belly wrap. Its a moisture barrier and also helps to prevent the entry of insects and rodents into the home as long as the belly wrap remains intact. However when plumbing repairs require cutting into the wrap, it doesn’t always get resealed afterwards or it gets taped-up with duct tape that comes loose after a few days.

The vehicle identification number (VIN) on a mobile home. There is a paper sticker on the interior of all mobile homes manufactured since June of 1976 called the data plate which lists the VIN number. Most often its find on the wall of the master bedroom closet or it might also be located near the back door and sometimes under the kitchen sink on the inside of a cabinet door.