How to Inspect Water Heater Tanks Course

I have uploaded a picture of an improperly piped TPR valve. As you can see from the picture, there is no piping diverting the TPR to the ground.

water heater.jpg

I inspected the water heater at a relatives home. the water heater is a 40 gallon 20013 Rudd electric model. There are 2 major deficiencies that need to be corrected. There is no piping diverting the TPR valve to the ground, and the conductors bringing voltage to the water heater is only 12ga. I did not notice any discoloration, leaks, or major corrosion that would lead me to believe that there are latent issues. I have alerted the home owner to these deficiencies, and suggested that they contact their plumber. I also suggested that they drain a gallon of water from the tank monthly to remove any sediment.

I read the article on “Water heater expansion tanks”. Pretty short article and almost all the information in it was covered in the class. The only new thing was depending on the local jurisdiction in authority, whether or not the expansion tank is required.

Hello all,

Though I understand as a general home inspection is concerned, the inspector is not required to confirm expectant life of a water heater tank. I feel as an advocate to a client to at least attain an age of the water heater tank, as one can use good common sense to recognize if it is reaching its usable life. Along with a date, one can obtain a wealth of information from the water heaters’ label. So I will make it a habit along with multiple photos of the water heater and its components to obtain a close up of the water heaters’ label. Should a label be illegible, that would generally speak for its self.

Hello all,

After inspection of the water heating equipment, the following was observed:

The energy source is electric, main disconnect for energy source present.
Venting found to be adequate.
Location is in attached garage.
Temperature/pressure-releif valve present.
No seismic bracing present.

Hello all,

In regards to evaluating the life span of a water heater, there are many factors which come into play. In a damp area such as an unfinished basement, the constant exposure to dampness expedites rust and corrosion. As with most all other products you get what you pay for, looking at the manufactures warranty could clue you in as to the quality of its components. I recognize it is not the responsibility of a general home inspector to reference the life expectancy of any component in a dwelling, but, one with a good conscience should be concerned for the potential occupants safety, explosions of water heaters have occurred and have taken lives as a result.

Gas water heater.

water heater.jpeg

This Water Heater is in great shape. It is 18" off the floor. Perfect.

My inspection was great. Everything was in working order and great shape.

This natural gas water heater tank is in a closet located in the garage. It is elevated 19" above the garage floor. It is in a conifined space, however it is vented to outside air with lower and upper venting to assist with combustion.

Hello Ya’ll, below see a picture of a water heater I inspected at my co workers house. Based on my inspection, I do see the TPR being located on the very top of the W/H thus being within requirement of 6inches of top. I also took notice of the expansion tank. Ive never really noticed these tanks until I began this course, and come to see them more often. As per the video, the position of this expansion tank is acceptable. Only thing I would recommend here is to perhaps stabilize it with some straps to hold it in place.

In this photo, we see the upper portion of an electric water heater manufactured in 2010. There is a shut-off valve for the main supply cold water line and TPR valve is good shape with proper outdoor discharge. The electrical wire and connection are covered by a flexible corrugated tubing. I inspected the electrical connection under the plate - no defects observed.

This pic demonstrates a typical thermal pressure relief valve on top of an 80 gallon electric hot water heater.

Water Heater Dating Charts.

Different manufacturers have different methods of dating charts when the appliance was manufactured. It’s important to have access to that chart so an inspector can determine the correct manufacturing date in their report.

Good afternoon,

This an image of a hot water heater tank with no apparent defects.

Regards
Hector L Dominguez
727 488 2918
dominguh@gmail.com

this pic is of a new hot water heater installation. the install was perfect by all standards but had a leak on the hot water side union that unfortunately caused a large scale water damage.

This photo shows how this tank is installed properly. It has a shut off valve on the cold water intake and it is vented out thru the roof.

MJ

Visual Inspection

I inspected the main water supply **** off valve. In compliance

I inspected the main fuel cut off valve. In compliance

I inspected the water heating equipment, including the energy source, venting connections, temperature/pressure-relief (TPR) valves, Watts 210 valves, and seismic bracing. In compliance

Based upon observed evidence, the water supply is public.

The main water and fuel shut off valves are in the garage, within 12" of the water tank. The capacity of the tank is 40 gal. I saw no evidence of any defects in the system.

MJ

“Anti-scald valves”

It mixes cold water with the outgoing hot water to prevent the temp of the water at the fixture from scalding a person. Scald account for 20% of all burns and 2000 American children are scalded each year. Water that is 160 degrees can scald in 0.5 secs!! Flushing toilets while a shower is being used is one example of when an anti scald valve is needed, when the toilet is flushed, cold water is used and therefore, less cold water is sent to the shower. These sudden bursts can especially burn a childs skin, due to it being thinner and sometimes can cause falls due to scrambling for the faucet.

MJ

electric water heater with TPR valve properly installed