How to Inspect Water Heater Tanks Course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

In this picture is a water heater with an obvious defect that is in need of repair. It is leaking from the bottom and would be a dangerous condition that is in need of immediate attention if it had to do with high water pressure. This water leaking out was most likely caused from a leaking T and P valve.

Research & Writing Assignment:

“Commercial Property: Buy or Rent?” was the title of the article I read and studied. This article was about a business owner who rents a space for his or her business and if they should consider purchasing instead of leasing. There are main factors that should concern you when becoming a landlord, like having to make hard decisions such as making the rent for tenants more expensive, or fixing things that could break around the structure.

This is an image of the hot water heater in my basement. It is an electric water heater properly seated in the catch pan with external drainage. The TPR valve is properly connected but incorrectly terminated into my crawl space. The unit is also in compliance with confined space regulations.

The image shows a diagram of an electric water heater with most of its components labeled. These include brace systems, expansion tanks, hot and cold water lines, TPR valve, straps, venting system, discharge line, and other components related to the operation of the water heater.

This picture shows many things. First is that it is a gas hot water tank. Second is that the homeowner needs to remove all of the flammable material away from the tank as this is a safety issue. Thirdly you can see that the pressure release valve drain would just drain all over the floor causing all kinds of water damage if the valve should trip.

Water Heater Expansion Tanks by Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard. these tanks are used as a safety device to allow for expansion of heated water. As water heats it expands, and there is only so much room inside a tank. the extra space needed is filled by the expansion tanks.

The 30 gallon electric water heater has several issues that should be addressed. The electrical connections are exposed and hazardous. The cover needs to be replaced. The T/P valve is not piped to the within 6 inches of the floor and provided with a drain or some other path for water should it discharge. There is no need for an expansion tank,since this is an open water supply(no check valve).

This is in regard to the anti-scald valve article. The installation of one or more of these valves can be essential in a house with an infant, elderly or infirm. One main unit can be installed or individual ones for problem areas. The flushing of a toilet while a shower is being run can be a problem that need not turn into an ER visit for an infant that has a lower threshold for a burn

The Rheem electric water heater is located inside the garage. The unit appears to be fairly new and is inside of a drip pan. The hot and cold water lines are insulated and properly sealed to the wall. The TPR valve is located on the top of the unit but the discharge line has numerous bends which can restrict the flow of water from the unit when needed. The service disconnect is properly mounted to wall and accessible. In addition, the drip pan has a drain line that discharges water visibly to the exterior. The unit is functioning as intended.

The illustration shows a gas water heater with a sediment trap (drip leg). This device is important because it filters sediments out of the natural or propane gas that flows into the unit. Sediments inside the water heater can cause damage to the heat exchange and coils.

This particular class discussed how to inspect hot water heaters. It broke down the different components that make up the hot water heater, like the heating element, whether its electric or gas powered. The dip tube or sacrificial rod, and the Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve.

An important part of a hot water heater is the presence of a TPR valve. These devises are designed to discharge water in the event of pressure or temperatures building up within the tank, which could cause failures or explosions if not in place. This discharge pipe should point down and terminate 6 inches from the floor.

The Electric water heater inspected in this photo was found during a condo inspection. The water heater was over 12 yrs old. I observed excessive rust at the base and the seam was coming apart. There was mositer in the pan under the water heater. Recommended replacement and the seller agreed. Client was happy

I recently conducted and inspection of an electric water heater. What I looked for involves being free of excessive rust and cracks. Also looked for obvious signs of moisture near the seams especially at the bottom. TPR valve and drain line must be included and in good condition.

At time of inspection, the electrical hot water tank was located in garage.
Also at the time of inspection, tpr vavle was present no signs of visible leaks. The
tpr vavle also had discharge pipe installed. During inspection also observed a catch
pan was installed.

On this inspection graphic, I observed cold water shut off vavle. Also
observed gas vavle shut off properly installed before the drip leg. In the
image i can see that a discharge pipe was also installed on the tpr valve.

The picture shown demonstrates a properly installed and functioning Temperature Pressure Relief Discharge Line/Pipe. The discharge pipe is made of a white plastic and extends down the rear side of the electric water heater to not more than 18 above the floor. The discharge pipe is in a conspicuous location, terminates in an area that is visible and shows no signs of deterioration.

The image I chose to comment on is labeled Water Heater Inspection. The item being inspected appears to be a gas water heater, located in what I believe to be an unconfined garage space. It is situated off the ground at least 18 inches and has a TPRV with an extension that terminates in a conspicuous location close to the floor. The water heater has a readable manufacturers label and a clearly visible drain valve. There is a temperature gage below the label with a gas line attached. The gas line shutoff valve seems to be located above the drip leg, if I am looking at the picture correctly.

This is an electric water theater with signs of rust along the top and bottom edge. The Anode rod top is completely rusted over. The copper piping supplying cold water and distributing hot water both have slight kinks in them from bending. TPR valve seems to be in good working order and there is a shutoff on the wall right next to the tank for electric and water.

While reading the Water Heater Expansion Tanks article I learned that they have not always been required and in some areas may still not require them. Now I know that I need to do some digging to find what my AHJ directs as far as whats acceptable.