How would you handle this wind mit retrofit?

Homeowner is currently getting credit for toe nails. A GC has been hired to improve the roof-to-wall attachments while the home is being reroofed. The GC would like to know if the metal attachments he will be using to retrofit the RTW attachments would be acceptable or not. I told him as long as the new RTW attachments meet the definitions on the form and are installed to manufacturer’s specifications there SHOULD not be a problem but the ultimate decision as to whether the RTW attachments would be acceptable or not rests with an Underwriter. Understandably, the GC (and homeowner) would like a more definitive answer before starting the retrofit work. How would you handle this?

Find out how he plans to retrofit the existing bearing point and with what connector. You should be able to advise if it will fly or not. Or send the info to me…

Don’t really understand how you are retrofitting roof to wall connections and some details from the GC would be helpful. I do understand how you could access the tops of the rafters or trusses during a reroof as it would be a simple matter of relieving on each side of the rafter, the rough cut on the roof sheathing. The connection to the studs and upper plates is another matter.

Unless you’re an Engineer, I wouldn’t be advising anyone on how to retrofit roof to wall attachment…

2010 Florida Building Code, Existing Building: 506.1 General.

Structural repairs shall be in compliance with this section and Section 501.2. Regardless of the extent of structural or nonstructural damage, *dangerous *conditions shall be eliminated. Regardless of the scope of repair, new structural members and connections used for *repair *or rehabilitation shall comply with the detailing provisions of the *Florida Building Code, Building *for new buildings of similar structure, purpose and location.
2010 Florida Building code, Building: 2303.4.5 Alterations to trusses.

Truss members and components shall not be cut, notched, drilled, spliced or otherwise altered in any way without written concurrence and approval of a registered design professional. Alterations resulting in the addition of loads to any member (e.g., HVAC equipment, piping, additional roofing or insulation, etc.) shall not be permitted without verification that the truss is capable of supporting such additional loading.

I would probably say, I charge 350 an hour for consulting. :mrgreen:

In the meantime, I would suggest a call to the local building department and then, to the manufacturer. I would then get the spec sheet and submit that to the underwriter prior to doing any work. If I remember correctly, this is all supposed to be done by an engineer.

The attached may point him in the right direction.

I also have a hurricane retrofit guidelines pdf, but it is too large to post here.
If you want it, just email me at ev@magnuminspections.com

Brad, I agree with you but I want to avoid giving the GC a definite “yes” or “no” (unless there is something obviously wrong) to his retrofit plan. Even if the retrofit plan is perfect I want to avoid saying “yes”. I don’t want the definitive answer the GC and homeowner are looking for to come from me as I am not the one that will ultimately decide if the attachments are acceptable or not. My original question (How would you handle this?) was probably too vague. A better question would have been…Where would you suggest the GC and homeowner go to get a definitive answer as to whether to the retrofit plans will be acceptable or not?

Rick, see the attached photos. They show what the GC is considering. It will be done during the reroof. The GC provided these photos as samples and would “tighten” them up so they are snug to the truss and add the appropriate number of nails if the attachments are deemed acceptable. The problem is that the attachments don’t quite “fit” as they are designed to fit. Parts of the attachments would have to be bent certain ways to fit better (but still not as designed).

Eric, thanks for the information. It sounds like an underwriter needs to get involved sooner rather than later. By the way, the PDF you have, is it this … http://www.disastersafety.org/wp-content/uploads/fortified-home-hurricane-standards.pdf …or something different? If something different, I will email you.

Brad, Rick and Eric…thanks again for the helpful replies.

Those photos will not fly…it appears they are on an intermediate bearing point (that’s what the underwriter will say), and that is not an approved installation. Highly recommend to the GC, to have an engineering letter / shop drawing designed, and get a permit.

It sounds to me like the GC is not qualified to do this retrofit. I would recommend hiring a different GC that is more familiar with wind mitigation requirements in the state of Florida.

Wouldn’t you be better off asking for drawings showing scope and details and a building permit ?

Mike,
Yes, it is the document you referred to.
As Robert pointed out, and engineer has to design this and I am pretty sure that is part of the 2007 building code as it pertains to retrofitting, where the trigger is an appraised value over 300K.

The table referenced in the document I posted will give the specifics of the strap required, and then, the contractor can go find it.
Here is the actual retrofit guide from 2007 where the table is located:
http://www.fhba.com/docs/MitigationGuide.pdf

As a side note, if the pictures you posted are an example of this GCs work, find someone else. I am hoping that is just a mock-up and not the finished product.

OK. Great. Thanks for all the input. Here, in part, is my response to the GC:

The best way to see if this is going to “fly” is to get the appropriate professionals involved (architects, engineers, etc.) and go through the appropriate processes (permits, drawings, etc.). I am not qualified to approve any retrofit plans.

As it relates to the wind mitigation inspection, I can tell you by experience, as long as the attachments are installed as designed and meet the definitions on the wind mitigation inspection report you should be fine (it almost always has been fine in the past) but, again, the ultimate decision rests with an underwriter. Because the ultimate decision does not rest with me, I cannot (in all fairness) give you a definitive “yes” or “no” to your retrofit plans. You could get the Underwriting Department involved from the homeowner’s insurance company and run your retrofit plans past them to see how they would handle it.

Yes. This is not the finished product.

Retrofitting RTW connections is not altering the truss. This code reference does not apply here. Inspectors can consult, but AHJ is going to want engineering and permits.

Read it again…

ya don’t say…

I don’t have to. I know what it says. Since when does nailing a clip into a truss alter it??? You have a very strange way of interpreting code…

Dunno…maybe…possible…uplift?

LOL, we are having quite the chuckle over this statement in your reports…

most homes built after 1978, are generally assumed to be free of asbestos

FYI, Asbestos was never banned, it was regulated…then you go on to say you are not qualified to “have the expertise or authority to evaluate”.

LOL…

Only because I’m bored…

**2010 Florida Building Code, Existing Building: 506.1 General.

Structural repairs shall be in compliance with this section and Section 501.2. Regardless of the extent of structural or nonstructural damage, dangerous conditions shall be eliminated. Regardless of the scope of repair, new structural members and connections used for *repair *or rehabilitation shall comply with the detailing provisions of the *Florida Building Code, Building *for new buildings of similar structure, purpose and location.

…you are a special kind of stupid, aren’t you?

Wow, met your match Huh? Now you have to resort to bullying…what a putz.

I thought it was against your COE to disparage another inspector? Or does that only apply to inspectors you like or agree with?

So the “code guy” thinks adding a clip to a truss is the same as a truss repair?
In college I learned that a sentence was a single complete thought and if separated the meaning could change. I guess I was mistaken again.