How would you report this

Dryer electrical wire is exposed. I would assume this is a big no,no and safety issue.

Just want to confirm.

Thanks,

Ken

DSCF2033.jpg

Ken-I have been recalling the threads you have been creating and I realize that your new but some of the questions you ask are a bit “obvious”. It appears that you are unsure about your direction and business plan.

Before someone jumps in your cornflakes, I thought I would try to address this tactfully.

In your inspection reporting you should be identifying items of significant deficiency, safety issues and conditions which will adversely affect the building in the future.

You’re not required to address any building code.

You should answer all of the questions in the standards of practice in every report.

When you look at the dryer plug and you believe that it is a potential safety concern (which you have) and you realize that Armor shielded cable or conduit should be attached between the box and the interior wall surface to protect the electrical conductor…

What do you report?:

1. Describe what you see.
  2. Describe the deficiency (it’s broken, it doesn’t function as intended, it’s a safety concerning etc.)
  3. Indicate the potential consequences of having this issue hanging around the house.
  4. Recommend a solution to the problem to make the issue go away in a manner in which the client understands the circumstances of the issue and its repair.

It doesn’t matter who here would report the situation or if it is a building code requirement. If you were buying the house and it is something that you would consider significant, report it using the above steps.

If someone questions your intentions as an issue that is significant, you can:

1. Ignore them because they’re not your client.
  2. Advise them of how you perceive the condition in that it is something you wouldn’t want in your house and your sure that they don’t want it in their house.
  3. Understand that nothing you put in your report “requires repair”. There are many ways to handle deficiencies, and it is not your job to deal with this.

They say there are no stupid questions except the one not asked. However, there is a lot of information available here on this website and seeing as we are on the Internet there is a huge amount of information out there. When you investigate the situation you are unsure about and you find an answer, you will better understand the answer and you will not only have your answer but a vast knowledge about everything concerning the issue, not just some other home inspectors one-liner of what they do and 25 posts as to why everyone else objects.

In your search for the answer, you’re going to come across things that all of us here could really utilize and it really helps to post what you find so we all can learn by your efforts.

I hope you take this as constructive and not bashing.

Thanks David, I take your information as very constructive and very helpful. I thank you for taking the time to post all that information.

Yes, I am new and yes posting on this forum you can get a wide degree of answers, with some having more then one way of doing things.

For me it’s not about being unsure of my business direction, just that I do not want to miss something and end up with a larger problem. So being new I’m also being more cautious, better to ask then assume.

The Home Inspection industry (or InterNACHI) would benefit from having an online mentoring program for new inspectors. This would help the inspectors, clients and industry.

Thanks David,

Ken

Ken,

Have you had any training at all? I only ask because you have thread after thread about questions that most trained home inspectors would know.

Ken, this is a very visible website to search engines on the Internet. If you can find an inspector willing to work with you (I’m not in Canada, but I’m willing to help) you can send them a private message through this website while you’re here and not have to post it publicly.

Try to find somebody not to overburdened with sexuality preference, politics etc. :wink:

It appears that you’re taking advantage of the many educational opportunities (though it may take several years to go through it all!) So try to find a mentor willing to work with you.

Many here or more than inclined to help out in a constructive way.

I don’t see this as subject to damage since the area is protected by the dryer. However, there is this portion of 334.12 that could be applied.

(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be
protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid
metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic
tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, Type RTRC marked
with the suffix -XW, or other approved means. Where passing
through a floor, the cable shall be enclosed in rigid
metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic
tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, Type RTRC marked
with the suffix -XW, or other approved means extending at
least 150 mm (6 in.) above the floor

The easy thing to do would be to turn the box 90 degrees CCW and mount it above the hole with a short PVC conduit sleeve.

At my house the dryer vibrates and the washing machine tries to “walk out the door”.

In my personal opinion I think that it is subject to damage.

Next I would consider evaluating what the electrical conductor type was and if it is appropriate for use outside of a finished wall system.

Just my particular observation.

David, that looks like fairly new #10 NM-B cable based on the color. It also looks like it is in the middle of the dryer and not near the legs should the dryer walk. If it did walk it would hit the cord before the cable.

David I only asked a question on the exposed dryer electrical condutor. I am not trying to take advantage of the many educational opportunities on this site. I am a InterNACHI member. Many members here have thousands of posts. I guess it works that newer HI with lest experence ask more questions and more seasoned HI end up answering more questions. But no one has to reply to any posts. I also see a lot of back and forth messages that are off topic and unprofessional. None of my posts will fall into that area.

I post most of my question in the members only forum. I have sent private messages to other members here…with limited success. I’ve seen other members with more experence then me post basic questions also. I would say training is always ongoing :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Ken

I think you were being commended for taking advantage of the opportunities, not condemned. :wink:

I could be wrong, but David can speak for himself.

Ken, don’t worry about the rants and things. That’s just the way it is here. Sift through the BS and the truth will be there. You should keep questions to the top of the MB in the members only area as there are “no follow” meta tags on the posts.

The mentor, if available, is a good idea though.:wink:

Drew

Excellent! Thanks Drew and all who responded.

Ken

Ken - I noticed on your web site and other posts that you are in fact using what is available on this site. That is a good thing…

Yes, this is a great site for information and lots of helpful people. I do like to ask lots of questions.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken, I would for sure put it in my report. Electrical is something I feel strongly about. Feel free to ask me a question any time. I have no problem sharing what I know or don’t know with anyone.

Would you epect less from a guy living in “Sparks” NV?..just found that funny is all.:smiley:

Great! Thanks for the offer.

Ken

The OP’s photo doesn’t look like a standard dryer outlet to me.

The voltage reading on that receptacle would be 120 between either hot and ground or hot to neutral. Between hots would be 240.

The receptacle shown is for flush mount. The device shown in post 18 is a surface mount. Either can be used.

I agree. But maybe not from the dryer, but something dropping on the wire.