How would you word this?

Originally Posted By: kluce
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I ran into a house where a plumber just did some work. He ran 1/2 inch copper pipe to the sink to the laundry tub and lastly to the washing machine. Note:the main line going to the all three was 1/2 inch and copper pipe branching off main line was 1/2 inch and the distance was far. I checked the water pressure with all three items at the same time and the pressure was fine. As a general rule, 3/4 inch pipe should be used for the main line going to these items and 1/2 used when branching off to the items itself.

My question is, if the pressure is fine, should something be written up and if so, what would it be? Again, the plumber has already been out there.

Note: I know from past experience that you can get away with smaller pipe depending on the size, distance, and what the pipe is supplying. It's not my job to figure it out, but I would like to know how I can word this to cover myself from future problems.

The situation I'm in now, I told the realtor that if the plumber signs something that makes him liable if the home owner has problems in the future, it should give the new home owners some protection and it covers my butt.

I was told the plumber works for a plumbing company but worked on this as a side job. Is he insured? I don't know. Am I insured? yes, so it would be easier to go after me. That's my thinking on the possible problems that could come my way.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

“My question is, if the pressure is fine, should something be written up and if so, what would it be? Again, the plumber has already been out there.”

Kevin

Are you doing a visual or code inspection?

Mike P. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: kluce

Code? I must of missed that one in the code book. icon_eek.gif I was just using the general rule method. This plumber messed up on a few things when fixing the original problem of low water pressure. He didn’t included a dielectric union where needed. One of his joints was dripping. Around 50 feet of 1/2 inch pipe plus a couple of feet going to each item and the number of couplings he used. icon_eek.gif It raised a red flag about this guy doing this job on the side.

Who knows what, if any, problems may arise when the home owners move into this empty house. I would like to cover myself without scaring my clients.

From your answer, I'll take the answer as you wouldn't worry about it as long as the pressure if fine. OK.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

After reading your reply my advice is:

Go with your gut. It works for me.

Mike P.