Hurricane Frances

Originally Posted By: jpeck
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

For those who are not following it, there is a MAJOR HURRICANE on its way to hit (most likely hit) the east coast of Florida SOMEWHERE Friday to Sunday.

I hope all inspectors who live in Florida are watching this one. It is one heck of a storm and could put Hurricane Andrew in a 'Oh that LITTLE $20 Billion - with a B - thing?' category.

If it hits as expected, it will likely churn through the center of the state, doing more damage than Hurricane Charley just did to the center of the state.

Take care and take cover.

More will be known on its probable landfall location tomorrow afternoon and Friday.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

No wonder there are so many HI’s in Florida…you need them just to keep up with all the rebuilding.

Good luck, and hope everyone weathers the storm.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Florida is a great place to be a home inspector:

Few basements.
Mostly 1 story homes.
Roofs go bad quick 'cause of heat.
No fossil fuels. Mostly heat pumps.
Poor construction.
Hot real estate market.
Lots of Relocation.
No snow or ice.
Complete NACHI market dominance.

and of course hurricanes requiring more work and more inspections.

God bless you Jerry. Hope all you guys come out of it alive and well. I'll say a prayer for all of you tonight.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: dkeough

Good Luck to all.

Anywhere from the top of the Keys to the Carolinas. This is a biggee.
They are saying South Florida could start feeling the effects by 2 on Friday and go through Saturday. That's a long time. Planned on a C section for my wife on the 9th. May have to camp out at the hospital just in case she goes early.

Wishing everyone safe days ahead. I remember reading something earlier this week from I believe it was Scott Patterson, What we do is not for publicity, as Harvey said it could be your neighborhood next.

Good Luck again
Dave Keough

Originally Posted By: dfrend

David, good luck with your wife. All others: be careful, stay safe, and good luck.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: jpeck

To show how large this storm is, hurricane force winds extend out 80 miles from the center, that’s 160 miles across.

THAT is ONE BIG storm a brewing out there and on it way to landfall SOMEWHERE.

It is still expected to hit somewhere about Ft. Pierce / Vero Beach. I used to live in Ft. Pierce as a teenager and surfed in a couple of hurricanes, but I would hope that, as a teenager, I would have the good sense NOT to try that in this one.

I spent last Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda where Hurricane Charley hit three weeks ago. This is going to dwarf that storm.

Wish us all (anyone in Florida) good luck and hope to see you guys when it is gone. Hopefully, down here (South Florida) we will only feel the tropical storm winds (still, that is 60 mph winds blowing for a very long time). Wishing the best for anyone in Martin, St. Lucie, and Indian River counties (where it is supposed to make landfall).

Sown here, we get prepared for hurricanes (shutters, impact windows, etc.), up there?, not much they can do about hurricanes.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Jerry:

Is there an evacuation?

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: gbell

Just about the whole east coast of the state.We really wont know where it is headed until late Friday. This one is going to make andrew look like a baby.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Greg, after these storms, what is the biggest need? Besides shelter, is it food?

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: gbell

There are going to be several areas where our members are going to lose there ability to make a living. The real estate market and need for inspections are going to come to a halt. On a national level that is where I think we could do the most for our members.

The State has really learned how to deal with hurricanes. I think they have the ability to supply the basic needs that the general population of the state needs once the storm has passed.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: tallen

Boy Florida is on someone’s s%$t list this year. I wish all the folks in the path of this Monster the best of luck.

Here is a good link for tracking and other pertinent info.

http://www.weatherunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200406_5day.html

May your God be with you.

Take care.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: cmccann

I’ll take Michigan over Florida any day. What a disaster waiting to happen that place is. Jeezzz, it’s like the people that rebuild in a flood zone, get flooded out and rebuild again. Good luck to you all…Keep Disney safe I’ll be there after hurricane season.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I don’t want anyone hurt or hamed or suffer, but it seems everyone wants to live there knowing this sort of thing happens frequently and then cry to the feds for aid when it does happen, which makes the rest of the country pay for it. I dunno…maybe I’m just being prickish about it.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

There is a cost to living in paradise. We plant new trees, rebuild our homes, clean up, and go back to the beach. The only thing we can’t do is replace our fellow Floridians. If you are in the path of the storm and can get out, get out! Find safe ground, and for God’s sake, Get the Hell out of your trailers!

Business is very flat over here after Charley, plus those who don't live here come in and take business. Greg is right, where Frances hits it will make business tough for those who live there.

Good luck and take care all!

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Kevin, you’re a d$%che. Same thing happens on the banks of rivers, from big snow storms, tornados, earthquakes, etc. throughout the US. It doesn’t just happen because of hurricanes in FL. More hurricanes hit the Carolinas than Florida anyway.

Originally Posted By: tallen

Here in AZ it’s the fires that usually get us. When it happens people come from all over North America to help. So, it is not only the (crazy) folks in Florida or the (nuts) on the west coast that build on a cliff or at the bottom of the next mud slide. These disasters happen everywhere. Any of us could be next.

Best wishes Florida.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: mzwerin

The hurricane panels should all in place…

Everything outside should now be inside – nothing should be left loose outside to be blown away (that is if you don’t count the house itself).

Be stocked up with [up-to] 2 weeks supply of food & drinking water (use the pool water for cleaning, washing, etc). Remember to have lots of pet supplies also prepared.

Vehicles should have full tanks of gas.

Have all needed medical supplies all accounted for and safely stowed.

Protect all important documents, both personal & business.

Have some cash. may not have banks/atms for a time afterwards.

This is what's needed. Moreover, for people living on the east coast barrier islands, it's evacuation time.

Our home is about 3/4 of a mile off the sand on the coastal ridge (high elevation = 12 ft above sealevel) in a well-build (imagine that!!) block house with a heavily strapped-roof.

For all our friends & associates here in South Florida:
Be Smart, Be Prepared, Be Safe! This one is a doozy!!!!
We'll chat more afterwards.

Originally Posted By: bsmith

My prayers and best wishes go to all of you in Florida.

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

Reminder to all:

The NACHI Foundation is accepting donations to assist those affected by this hurricane and the recent one. Go to www.nachifoundation.org and click on "make a donation" to help.

Best wishes to all Floridians.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: mcraig

If there are so many HI’s in Florida why don’t they all become Disaster Housing Inspectors With PaRR (contractor for FEMA) They are activating all of us all over the country to come down there for the next couple of months to do the Home inspections? so far it looks like they are going to activate a total of 400 inspectors. They tell us they would prefur to have local Inspectors over sending all of us in but there are not many locals. icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif