This wiring in a couple of places was down about belly high and at the feet where it went into the conduit and I almost walked into it with out seeing it. Placed my little ticker on the wire and it lite up not totally trusting these little dudes went and got my real meter and tested from this bare wire to the furnace vent and read 124 volts.
This is just a single wire resembling the old K&T and runs the full length of the attic into the conduit that it is touching in the PIC indicating to me that the conduit is also hot. I am turning this over to the sparky’s but would like to understand why and how something like this is in use especially since this home has been re-wired by what appears to have been professionally done.
Any thoughts are welcome