Need some help. Pleeeeeeze

On one of my inspections today; there was an updated service panel. The 60 amp two pole GE breaker was 178 f. I didn’t think to check the amps at the time (brain fart). It controlled the electric furnace that was running at the time. Oh, and the rest of the panel was between 80-85 f.
Any thoughts. Any comments would be very helpful.:slight_smile:

042.JPG

Hi Bill,

A 90 degree Delta T is way too much, in my opinion I would even consider that high if the breaker was GFCI or AFCI, call it out for further evaluation.

Regards

Gerry

10 degrees difference. Not so bad.

90? WAYY too much. Lot’s of resistance in there somewhere.

Like Gerry said, defer it to an electrician.

I did call it out, however for educational purposes,does anyone have thoughts on possible causes? Do you think it could just be a defective breaker? I have never had this problem with GE breakers. Square D occasionally, FPE all the time; never GE. My second guess was a problem with the furnace (wish I checked the amps).

Hi Bill,

an amp load number would have been nice, but my “gut feel” is one of the following

1. Defective breaker
  2. Poor connection between breaker and bus
  3. Loose conductor
    MY best guess is #2

Regards

Gerry

Inadequately sized conductors will contribute as well. . .

JP,
Thanks, but the conductors were #6
The panel had been recently updated (maybe 1 year old). I have sometimes seen discoloration to the contacts one side or both sides of a breaker (from a bad connection). I am thinking that it’s a bad breaker.
Thanks to all.

I agree with the funny looking man :mrgreen:

At a certain point point it really doesn’t matter what the problem is, a qualified person should look at it.

Just saw the pic and notice the red one is looking like the suspect.

I don’t think the amp load would be relevant.

I regularly used an IR thermometer to check up to 1500 amp breaker connections and rarely saw them more than 10-15 degrees over ambient.
(Granted, I never saw them at full load!)