Originally Posted By: wdecker
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
Just wanted to let you guys know how this went.
Ken Sitzes and I manned the booth. The turn out was rather small (I believe under 600) and sas mostly local (western and central Illinois Realtors).
The first day, almost all of the Realtors who stoped by the booth seemed to be primarily interested in swiping pens and memo pads. A numbser of them seemed to believe that Home Inspectiors are a worthless, but to be endured excersize, although a few seemed genuinly interested.
There was an afternoon continuing education session on 'Home Inspections, finding the hidden defects.' given by a Realtor from Missouri. She got most of her information from,... wait for it.... ASHI.
I attended and sat up close to the front. Early on, the speaker asked if there were any inspectors in the audience. I raised my hand and she said that she would be calling on me a lot during the presentation. And she did.
1) Clarified for her (and the group) that ASHI ain't the only professional group. She took this well and seemed genuinely unaware that there were any others.
2) At the break, I gave her a copy of I.Q., which she touthed a great deal during the second half. Good exposure.
3) I added to and corrected her on a number of things, as well as expounding on what she had said. I didn't want to take over of cramp her style, but she (and others) told me afterwards that the appreciated my participation.
In fact, at a party after the 1st day, the Realtors kept coming up to me and asking questions and buying me drinks! A real change in attitude was evident. Education is always appreciated.
4) The 2nd day, we had a large number of Realtors comming up to the table and thanking us for our help in the talk and wanting more info on NACHI. Many said that there were a number of questions on the CE test that they would never have gotten if we hadn't joined in on the presentation.
5) I let the speaker, and several other Realtors know that if they ever have any questions, they should post them on the board, or contact ken or I.
6) They seemed VERY interested when we told them that NACHI was going to start a Realtors quarterly paper. Amiee, expect a large number of requests.
Thanks for letting me know about this and for letting me help. It was a good thing.
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076