I feel like I should know this....

Simple code question, but I don’t know the answer off the top of my head.

I was asked today if it is acceptable to have copper tubing (hot and cold water supply) in direct contact with wood studs.

I am going to do my reasearch now, but I thought I would post in case anyone had a quick and easy answer.

Thanks!

I don’t see a problem. Heck ,I see it all the time.:cool:

What are the plumbers supposed to do , put insulating grommets at all stud penetrations???

I think not.

That was my reaction, too, but the question was asked so pointedly, I thought I would double check to see if htis was a case where conventional construction may not necessarily be by-the-book.

Everything I have found so far indicates is it proper.

You routinely run copper pipes through wooden studs. The water temperature isn’t going to cause the wood to burst into flames. The TPR valve would pop off when the temp reaches 210 deg. Most water heaters are set for around 115-120 degrees. It gets hotter than that in most attics on a good day. That is the only thing I can think of they would be worried about. ?

The only reason I can think of its being isolated is to prevent squeaking from expansion and contraction—most better plumbers actually do put plastic grommets whenever they go through wood joists/studs.

I guess it may help you understand the post if I tell you that the question was asked of me standing atop a 23 story building all of which has metal studs except the wood frame that the water heater plumbing is fastened to.

Someone must have scared the guy about this use of wood in the building, or told him that the expansion/contraction noices will echo) and he was quizzing me very pointedly and agressively. I could not quote the code allowing it but said it is what I have seen typically, but I would double check to make certain.

Consider me certain!

Hey Joe…Commercial Inspection???..:smiley: