I found something very strange in the FL HI licensing law.

Amen!

…Interesting

Astute. :-k

Let me put it another way…

Licensing solves nothing.

I certainly never stopped a contractor from being crappy :twisted:

We agree! :smiley:

I could support educational requirements but the SoP and enforcement needs to be a civil matter and not a bureaucratic empire. Happily I am nearing retirement so the burden falls on new guys.

It’s not surprising at all (the outcome of licensing), and is the end result of the different HI “factions” not speaking as one voice.

Builders and contractors outnumber us VASTLY…all the more reason for HI’s to put their differences aside and at least in a legislative sense, speak as one.

We expend so much freakin effort differentiating one HI assn. from another…we forget how much we’re all the same, and who we really represent in the end. The real problem is that we air these differences publicly as if no one but HI’s read these web sites.

Our industry deserves everything it gets from this legislation.

All the association bashing is ignorant. All associations are good and provide a means for inspectors to increase their knowledge and improve their business. I chose NACHI because they have the most to offer in my opinion. We need to stand together and fine tune this Bill so it’s is fair to all and provides protection to both inspectors and consumers. We need a grandfather clause that will not disrupt or hurt anyone currently in business and that has an SOP and COE.

We need to work together, take control of our industry and fine tune this Bill.

See You In Orlando.

This says it all…

And…as Nick has pointed out…there is only one national association who has partnered with the NAR to make this happen.

Chaos is our friend. :smiley:

Licensing solves nothing. Only adds to the chaos.

Laws are put into play by people for their own benefit, and for the benefit only of their “special interest groups”, friends, pocketbooks, and campaign coffers.

Attorneys add to the confusion, by putting in laws language that will cause lawsuits so they can make money. Insurance companies make money off of the insurance. Board members make the money because they get reimbursed for “expenses”. Associations make money off of the educational requirements. Inspectors are having to raise rates due to these expenses, and causing home buyers not to get home inspections. Contractors are doing them for free, and reaping the benefits of the repairs, needed or not. We, and the consumers, lose. ASHI is already in Washington presenting ideas to the feds, and are already controlling their own interests in vertually every state. ASHI members are paying for this to happen. These things are all huge conflicts of interest.

YOU ARE AN IDIOT, DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AND HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE IN THIS BUISINESS. PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN THIS INDUSTRY ARE DESTROYING IT. I HOPE YOU DIE SOON.
There are no inspections that can be completed in 30 minutes you MORON.

Now that’s the way to start your day:)
Beautiful day here in South Florida, to much work, to little time, when will it let up.
Gotta go, have fun ya’ll

Any experienced inspector on this forum can discover patent material defects in 30 minutes. I do these inspections by request often.

Your temper may be your undoing. An inspector cannot last in this business with that attitude. You could be disciplined by Florida regulatory authorities and kicked out of INACHI for that post.

I suspect there is something deeper inside bothering you. If I can be of any help email me and I will share my cell number.

Peace be with you

I apologize for the die comment, I didn’t mean it. The job isn’t to find some patent defects it is to identify all the defects. Just because you locate or describe a roof leak it isn’t sufficient unless you have found all roof leaks. The SOP’s exist not because the inspectors made them up but because the public demands these standards and expects a minimum standard of performance be defined.
This crap that has been spewed regarding the time it takes by inspectors on this board is utter nonsense. It takes as long as it takes to be confident that all deficiencies in the major components functionality are uncovered. $100.00 half hour inspections can’t accomplish that goal and fail to meet any standard. This is why I lose my temper about this, clients will be dissattisfied leading to more legislation and governmental intervention. We are being legislated here in Fl. not due to the wishes of any association but due to several high profile court cases where poor inspections were done. I hope you accept my apology, sincerely.

Apology fully accepted. Don’t think a thing about it. Delete the post if desired. I have been known for a rant or two myself.

A conflict that may be bugging you is the belief the purpose of the inspection is to find all the defects. Following is the INACHI SOP

1.1. A Home Inspection is a non-invasive, visual examination of a residential dwelling, performed for a fee, which is designed to identify observed material defects within specific components of said dwelling. Components may include any combination of mechanical, structural, electrical, plumbing, or other essential systems or portions of the home, as identified and agreed to by the Client and Inspector, prior to the inspection process. I. A home inspection is intended to assist in evaluation of the overall condition of the dwelling. The inspection is based on observation of the visible and apparent condition of the structure and its components on the date of the inspection, and not the prediction of future conditions.
II. A home inspection will not reveal every concern that exists or ever could exist, but only those material defects observed on the day of the inspection.

III. A home inspection can include a survey and/or analysis of energy flows and usage in a residential property if the client requests it.
1.2. A Material Defect is a condition of a residential real property, or any portion of it, that would have a significant, adverse impact on the value of the real property, or that involves an unreasonable risk to people on the property. The fact that a structural element, system or subsystem is near, at or beyond the end of the normal useful life of such a structural element, system or subsystem is not by itself a material defect.

Still a MORON?

My guess is you have worked hard in this business for many years. You have become experienced and educated. The problem is the better you become the less marketable you are. Instead of building referrals your loosing them to the guys who do major defect inspections for less money. The foundation is OK but the roof is shot, then refer the roof to their brother who kicks them back $500 under the table. That is my whole point. You cannot beat these guys. You have to learn how to do it ethically.

There is no other way of saying this…and it is certain to condemn me to an early death…but you are very, very wrong.

First, it is sufficient to report that the roof leaks. From exactly where and from how many points of entry is not only unnecessary (for the roofer will take it from here) but usually impossible for a non-invasive inspection to detect on many flat or metal roofs.

Second, the SOP is not a minimum standard. It is an industry standard. It is how what we do is defined in advance for our clients and upon which we base our fees and our liability. You either comply with it, or you do not.

Mr Cahill
I hope your business model works for you but I sure as He-l will never operate that way.
If a client that knows nothing about the trades ,is a first time buyer, and called you for expertise gets nothing but a major componant check list you have cheated them out of several hundred dollars so you can do your 4 Inspections a day.
If the Furnace is 25 years old and functioning it is your obligation to let them know either in the report or verbally for all i care that they may need to buy a new one in the near future and should plan their funds accordingly.
I do not need any SOP to tell me that is morally what should be done.
I nspectors can sell all the flyby, drive through,run past inspections they want but i will not join them in helping to ruin the entire industry for their own personal gain.
This is what certain A-ho-es did to major corporations just before they bailed out with a golden parachute.
This type of thinking is Piranha,slash and burn approach of someone that wishes to squeeze the life out of the industry and leave the people behind to clean up the mess.

Opps never mind. :slight_smile:

Well I have decided to be polite even though I’ve been told to die, called a moron and now maybe a toothy fish. I modifed my first mean spirited reply. Best regards Robert.