I need a clever comment

O.K. So I start my inspection and find out it’s flipped house and the owners GC is there following me, and of course he has one of those GC attitudes (that give the other 5% a bad name). And of course we butted heads when I said something about the wood frame/stucco portions below grade (and he says “That’s pressure treated pine, it’s good”) So here are some photos of the condensation drain line termination. I would like something better to write than the usual (poor location, no proper trap at the handler or exterior, ect.).

Yes, it’s a clear plastic hose sticking out of the ground (he told the buyer that he would trim it!)

Thank you

[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Does it meet this?

307.2.2 Drain pipe materials and sizes.
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Components of[/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Times New Roman]the condensate disposal system shall be cast iron, galvanized
steel, copper, cross-linked polyethylene,
polybutylene, polyethylene, ABS, CPVC or PVC pipe or
tubing. All components shall be selected for the pressure
and temperature rating of the installation. Condensate waste
and drain line size shall be not less than 3/4[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial][size=1] [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]inch (19 mm)[/size][/FONT]

[size=2][FONT=Times New Roman]internal diameter and shall not decrease in size from the
drain pan connection to the place of condensate disposal.
Where the drain pipes from more than one unit are
manifolded together for condensate drainage, the pipe or
tubing shall be sized in accordance with an approved
method. All horizontal sections of drain piping shall be
installed in uniform alignment at a uniform slope.
[/size][/FONT]

Why bother? A Contractor ain’t gonna appreciate it anyway. :wink:

Yes it does seem to meet those qualifications… It’s just wrong and sad at the same time though…

Condensate drain or water collector?

It is the AC condensation drain termination.

If it meets the qualifications, they why is it wrong. You say its the right material. From the picture it is improperly trapped and subject to damage. If so, then write that and document why it is wrong. State what you see and know and recommend it be done right - then move on.

Do drain pipes normally go uphill in your area? (or is that the far end of a trap):wink:
No chance for clog eh?
They need to terminate something alright.

I think he will say he added a free drip irrigation fixture for the lawn. :slight_smile:

Before it defies gravity or flows back into the utility room ?

Maybe they can run it all the way to the curb like a french drain to keep the slope. :roll:

Did the contractor actually keep a straight face when saying his way defies gravity?

Was this a new unit with a permit?

It’s built in '60, it was gutted and flipped in 3 months.

Come on guys… It’s a freaken clear plastic hose stickin outta the ground about 4 feet from the home?

It looks like a hose from a condensate sump pump.
Uphill is not a problem for these.

No pump, 2 feet down under the handler, under the slab and termination as pictured, slope draining downward until the hose curls up and over forming the “trap”.

So how far down is it buried Michael?
Vinyl never changes shape right?:slight_smile:

I guess it is about a 1-2 feet deep.

Actually I was joking as the vinyl that line is made from will flatten out anyway.

Piping material not approved for burial and not protected from deterioration of rocks and chemical reaction by not bedding in sand; double trapping possible if on negative air side of coil?

Page 114 of this book — this is a great book for HVAC by the way

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZW8mg892yfEC&pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=proper+condensate+drain+line+termination&source=bl&ots=e4rq8IxNNm&sig=yJ_zuQjqOkjQUuulQW9pCpXnyZU&hl=en&ei=SZQ3TbiNBsOclgeItNidBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CDQQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=proper%20condensate%20drain%20line%20termination&f=false