Ice on evaporater coil

Rheem Heat Pump. When the evaporater coil was viewed significant condensate was dripping down into the plemun and the lower coils were icing. Temperature splite was 14 degrees. What would cause the icing. Thanks, need answer soon, report due out.

Condensation on the coil is normal, but if the evaporator coil has ice accumulation, it is caused by either the temperature being too cold (below 65°F inside OR out) or poor air flow through the unit itself. Maybe the fan is slipping on the motors shaft.

Three biggest causes are the evaporator coil is too dirty to let air pass through, filter is too dirty, or the system is undercharged. Those are the first things I check when I see ice buildup. There are other causes, but these are the most common you will find.

The condesate drain line is open and draining, there is just a lot of condensate dripping down from the coils and like I said the lower two inches of the coils are icing over. Thanks

Dave is right but add to the list low on Freon - I was told this by used home sales person and that the seller would have the unit serviced so I need not put it on the report.

I was also told that I should not run the unit as long as I did since the problem does not show up during normal operation

(How did this person know all this??)

rlb

What do you think about the temp. split at 14 degrees along with the dripping and icing. Thanks

14 degrees sounds good to me.

I like to see a 12-15 degree differential.

If this particular unit makes you nervous, simply recommend service and maintenance before close of escrow.

Thanks everyone for your comments but I’m still wondering why there is an excess of condensate dripage from the coil.

Been answered but again the unit is not functioning properly due to the 3 conditions noted by others or very hot upon entry or high levels of interior humidity

Here is the basic breakdown I use (ripped off) and in all cases:

S[FONT=Verdana]easonal equipment service is recommended it’s that time of year[/FONT]

12ºF~14ºF or less- inadequate to marginal operation advise servicing unit(s) immediately to identify problem
15~16ºF – minimally acceptable
17~18ºF - good operation
19~20ºF - very adequate operation
21~22ºF - slightly excessive differential
23ºF or above** -** excessive differential advise servicing unit(s) to identify problem

Any time you have ice on the A-coil on a residential A/C unit there is a problem. The excess condensate you are referring to is created by the edge of the ice trying to melt and simply dripping from the edge of the ice and not traveling down the fins of the coil as intended. Also if there is any lint build up this will also cause the condensate not to travel down the fins to the drain pan.

This unit needs to be deferred to a HVAC contractor for repair it is not performing as intended by the MFG.