ICF knowledge anyone?

Originally Posted By: rking
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Is there anyone out there with a knowledge of ICF construction?
I will be doing a four phase new home construction on one beginning in September.
It is ICF construction from footings to roof line.
I am familiar with the construction method having built a couple of homes on ICF foundations but I have never seen one with the exterior walls constructed in this manner.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Bob,

Not sure which system you may be working with but the following site may be helpful.

www.polysteel.com

A local builder uses the system and promotes sound control in his condo units and tornado resistance. Seems to be a good system. Watch for the inherent problems typical of EIFS applications - trapped moisture! As always, quality craftsmanship and attention to specifications and details are critical.

Good luck on your project!

--
Russ Meyers

Thanks Russ,

Good site. I am not sure what system is being used either, but I will know soon enough. There are a lot of BlueMaxx systems up here and a few knock-offs of BlueMaxx but very few homes carry it any further than the foundation!
I am forwarding this website to my clients for their information as well.
The installation manual available will come in handy, even if their particular system is not this one.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: mbailey

Robert - here is another link for you, Lite-Form Concrete Systems. Quite a few of our local guys have used this product for many years.

http://webster.liteform.com/

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Thanks Mark,

I will pass this site onto my clients as well, I am sure they will appreciate all of the information they can get.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: Russell Stephens

Does anyone mention the concern for termite attack on these homes? The company (national company) I now work for will not even treat a home of this type, because of the very big possibility of termites returning, or not even leaving after treatment. The termites come up between the form and the concrete making it next to impossible for any termiticide to come in contact with the termites, thus reducing the effectiveness of the treatment.

I'm not saying it is impossible to get rid of termites in these type of homes but is sure reduces the possibilities.

Hey Russell,

That sounds like a pretty darn good explanation, believable even ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) !
Luckily for me that particular pest does not try to cohabitate with us humans in my neck of the woods.
If I were to travel about 100 miles to the southwest of my target area then I would have to consider that option.
Carpenter ants and carpenter bees are the big pests aroumd here, and because they feed mostly on damp wood I do not think an ICF house would be at much risk from them, but I will keep that in mind when I am looking at the furring strips inside and out if they are wood instead of steel.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections

not many of those type of construction around my area thank god. or I would be a poor man lol. I have noticed an increase of the construction of homes using that type of construction in my area.

Robert the other concern not really structural though. Is other types of ants including carpenter ants, is they will burrow into the foam board and construct nest and road ways in the foam board. May cause problems in the cosmetic look in the exterior walls and unfinished interior walls. Ants love to nest in foam board insulation as well. If the nest is large enough you can even hear them working. Though these infestations are easily controlled using a bait for the ant in question.

Russell,

Thanks for that information. I did not know that the carpenter ants would nest in foam. I will now have to spend a little extra time on some of my inspections.
There a lot of 'old cottages' in my area that have been converted to year round residences. A lot of them have crawl spaces and as you can imagine the crawl space walls are insulated with foam!
This business just keeps getting more interesting all of the time!

--
Muskoka Home Inspections

No problem Robert. Just a note you are a lot less likely to find carpenter ants in the foam than other types of ants but it does happen occasionally.

Especially if there is a lot of moisture present.