If this was your Inspection (part 1)

Just curious, If this was your Inspection ,what would you say,and what would you report?

Back up your opinion if you can,rather than hearsay.

porch2 [1024x768].jpg

Just curious, it was your inspection. You tell us what you reported.

Thank you Chuck. My thoughts also. I didn’t say them, because Bob would accuse me of some stupid thing or other. He’s paranoid or something. :mrgreen:

I already know the issues but am curious to see what you would say.
I will give the answers later.

Jeff you can always go back to Religion and politics if Inspection related topics are to boring for you.

There are some fine educational links here at NACHI if you do not have the needed experience to comment.:slight_smile:

Chuck… told ya’ :mrgreen:

Well, if you’re gonna have us write your report for you, some better and more telling pictures are needed. As it is, us professional inspectors don’t like to assume anything, especially with the limitations of your pictures.

The pictures are of issues that are obvious.
If you have no clue ,please allow others to respond.

Whatever Bob.

I am sure things are different up in the windy city. We get to use romex here.

Pic 1 I would need more clarity on the requirements there, but washers would be nice. Here it would be nails.

Pic 2 Thats obvious. Just exactly how are the steps secured, by toe nailing?

Pic 3 You lost me there

Pic 4 The steps look to be undersized and there is too much space inbetween the rail and the steps

If it helps this is a 3 story porch.

The stamp is the only stamp on the wood.
Will explain later if no one figures it out.
This is not a good structure, so I will wait a bit and maybe add a few more issues.

These issues are very easy to miss , which is why they are important.

Column splices could have been avoided by using an engineered parallam in full length.
This bearing post splice may not have taken into account the axial loading and may give way in the future to lateral forces cause by it.
Recommend a designer to evaluate and corrected based on the loading requirements.

The header framing for the stair stingers is inadequate to meet todays standard application for this installation.
The header should have been increased in depth to accept the plumb cut of the stair stringer and allow for proper Simpson anchor attachment.
Needs to be repaired by a qualified Building Contractor.

The general view of the stairs, appears that the tread width and riser proportions were not taken into consideration for safety when originally built.
The slope of the stairs should not exceed 38 degrees to provide safe access during use.

Never seen that stamp.

:):smiley:

Close ,but I will give all the details of what I said and why in a bit.
In Chicago we have the toughest porch guidelines in the nation as a result of 13 deaths that occurred six years ago when one collapsed during a party.

Still with around 680,000 residential properties and only 5,000 inspections a year, we Inspectors working for a client need to pay more attention and not look at it as an association problem unless they are buying the whole building.

Here are a few more issues meanwhile.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

A graspable stair handrailing would be good, too, eh?

We can only base our opinions on what we see Bob, two additional pictures shows a different picture to the opinions.
Seeing the whole picture would help.
Why don’t you tell us the whole story or the whole picture?

Only in the field with a panoramic view can we conclude the findings. :):smiley:

Hi Marcell
I am focusing on individual issues as a panoramic view is useless on a 100kb picture size limit,nor would you see all issues from one view.
I will start with the last 2, I posted.

Having forum issues so response is slow.sorry.

First is the stringer sitting directly on concrete, which is not much better than earth to wood as it wicks up the water.

Since we are on stringers here is a issue from the first group to look for.

Wrong illustration for stringer contact above and can’t delete.sorry.

The first picture shows a column not spliced properly as 2 bolts is proven to not be enough to support the splice.
5 is the amount required now.

The one below shows how the column should attach to the footing and pedestal.

When inspecting a large porch system it would be dumb not to use treated wood,right?
Treated wood lasts anywhere from 10-20 times longer and this porch was not treated.
Here are a few graphics to help you know if it is treated or not as it is not always going to have that greenish tint.

Look at the labels.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

The last picture in the first group is obvious as the balusters are way more than 4 inches apart.

Thanks for the information Bob.