I'm going back into the stock market on Tuesday. Big money to be made.

I agree there is a strong possibility… I think allot of people will hesitate till the elections are over… and it will take time, but it will go back up. The dollar overall is going up right now, making anything bought on the global market cheaper here. (I.E. Gas) $3.07 today here. Vince, if you dont know what your buying, dont do it. :slight_smile: I leave my mutual fund alone, havnt touched it in years, currently im down 25-30% overall, it would be foolish to cash it now.

And with that I can heartily argree:D

Learn how to read a balance sheet and find out all you can before you buy a stock.

Mark is right, individual stocks are risky. A mix of asset types is less so. But realize the market has risk.

Decide how much of your assets you want to put at the higher risk level.

Remember all the day traders that were around in the 90s?
There is a reason they’re gone and it’s not because they bought an island in the Pacific.:shock:

It will be very interesting to see how the Asian and European markets fare on Monday, Asia really needs to come up 6-7% off last nights losses, if they don’t Tuesday will be a blood bath.

Ooops nearly forgot, remember where you read this :wink:

Regards

Gerry

I think Japan is closed on Monday. National Health day or something like that.

Second Monday of October (national holiday)
Health and Sports Day (taiiku no hi):

Ah Ok that explains why they run around wearing face masks, I always wondered :mrgreen:

Regards

Gerry

Dollar cost averaging is for schmucks. Makes no sense. I’m either in or out. I waited 21 years for this coming Tuesday.

Some prefer to get rich slowly.

Others prefer Las Vegas.

I prefer to sleep at night. :wink:

Right now the market is offering two positions, cash & fetal.

Just got a bunch of Bank draw jobs, tied to loans.

The bailout might be helping .

I have been pulling out of the market over the past few years and investing in real estate (rental properties). I won’t buy a property unless it returns at least 25% per year. I can easily determine the value of a rental property, but trying to determine the value of a stock is a crap shoot. And I even have a degree in finance. Invest in what you know, successfully timing the market is nearly impossible.

OK Nick. I’ll dig out all of my matress money for Tuesday morning. Now here is where you come in. What do I buy?

GM could benefit bigtime from filing bankruptcy, the stockholders get nothing and then sell new stock to the next round of hopefuls. US Airways did it, they even legally robbed pension plans and put the debt on the PBGC.

Some big corporate bankruptcies are coming soon unless some limitations are in place to make them less attractive.

The lost decade…

Let’s say, hypothetically, that 10 years ago today you had some money you wanted to put away for your old age. You invested it in the S&P 500, a selection of America’s largest and most stable companies.

The index closed that week at 1,056.42.
The index closed today at 899.22

Ignoring the fund’s fees you’d have had to pay, and any dividends you’d have collected, over 10 years you’d have lost 14.9% of your money. And that ignores the effects of inflation, gas and cigs were both about $1.25 back then.

Tuesday morning, I will be buying like they don’t make it (anything) anymore–:lol:—:lol:

GM at less than $5 a share looks tempting it hasn’t been this low since 1958, the problem of course is this another one of the too big to fail companies? If so then when the government comes in to bail them out they will be given preferred shares which would vastly dilute the price of the common shares.

That is going to be the problem going forward with the government vowing to purchase stocks & assets with your tax dollars, none of us are big enough to compete with them, and they will always demand a preferred position. It seems to me all of the rules regarding investing in this brave new world have changed and none for the better.

Not necessarily mutual funds! Index funds have transparency and perform better. Many mutual fund managers had been investing heavily into WAMU, WACHOVIA and some of the hard core investment banks which no longer exist. Investors in these funds didn’t even know what the funds holdings were.

Pick a long term growth stock and get ready for the ride up! GM at $4 you gotta be kidding me. IBM exceeded all profit estimates and is still in the tank. Start buying pronto!

Hi. Will;

My Mutual Funds are in the American Funds and suppose to be in a conservative Market. I am to old to be in a Fund that is aggressive.

Four months ago I told them to change it to a more conservative fund more than I already had.

Every four months I see 2-4 thousands go out the window.

Makes anyone nervous when you look at the little amount of retirement money going out the window.

Thanks

Marcel :):slight_smile:

Ok so Nick or anyone else if you have $1000-$5000 ready to invest on Tuesday, what would you buy? Or Nick what are you buying on Tuesday? How much are you putting in?

Give me your top 5-10 picks. Like a few of you are saying this is looking tempting. I never played the stock market, I did play the forex market and never could get past even…

Ray

I never got into stocks (in the past) but looking at the automobile manufacturers stock prices, I think I’ll drop a few thousand into GM and Ford. Vehicle manufacturing will never cease, so it’s got to go up from here.

Ford went from $5.28 per share (in Sept) to $2.66 today.

GM went from $11.40 (in Sept) to 6.91 today.

Other stocks to consider would be anything related to health care, cellular phones and Energy.

JMO…

The next few weeks is the opportunity of a life time, if you buy and sell correctly, with a large amount of money, you should be able to not worry about working the rest of your life.

If you see me here in a month, you’ll know my idea didn’t pan out----:lol:

1. I will either be dead after they remove half of my pancreas on the 20th.-:shock:
  2. Or I will be at the Westin Resort in Fiji-----:lol: