In English Please

Thanks… problem solved.

Since you are a non-construction person, I would say yes. You need as much construction information as possible. And not just for testing purposes, but to understand why.

4 Likes

Great… but you didn’t actually explain anything, so…

What part did you not understand? I don’t know where to begin. Do you know what a rafter is? A truss? 4:12 slope? 16d common nail? bearing member? I am happy to help.

3 Likes

This part…lapped a minimum of 3 inches, or butted over bearing partitions or beams and toenailed to the bearing member.

Laps and toenails… whaaaaaa???

Honestly, if you don’t understand those two common construction terms, you’re gonna have a difficult time of things in this industry!
What’s your experience so we have a clue where to begin?

3 Likes

Begin here… https://fpg.phys.virginia.edu/fpgweb/memos/Construction-Vocabulary.pdf

3 Likes

Glad to see there are so many helpful people here. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s how you’re gonna play this?
Good luck with that!

3 Likes

Actually, they are trying to help you…
The two words you didnt understand are both in that link that was shared…

1 Like

So, I googled your question. This was the return.

So looking at this diagram, try to visual where the lap would be.

1 Like

You do need to know and more importantly why some of these details matter.

My recommendation. Get a very thick skin very quickly. When things come at you, the only thing that matters is information. Personalities, tone, manners…none of that matters. I want you to be so hungry for information that you care nothing about the feelings. Leave them at the door and dig in.

7 Likes

Thank you
The other glossary I was looking in wasn’t very helpful.

3 Likes

THANK YOU. A visual representation is much better.

2 Likes

Remember that most of us on this MB are working inspectors and NOT employees getting a paycheck.
You want a quick reply to a question? Provide details related to your question, and wait for a reply.
You want “visual representations”? Take a course and learn about it.
We have no qualms helping you, but we are under no obligation to do so. We do this out of the kindness of our hearts. No other reason. Read the Quote in my signature if you need help with that.
You will absolutely get back what you give!

3 Likes

I was going to suggest Googling your query too.

As an inspector, one needs to be resourceful.

Good luck!

5 Likes

I’d say since you will be walking on them while inspecting the attic.

2 Likes

This was just shared by @rmayo on another thread

2 Likes

Thanks Daniel I could not find this thread.

1 Like

I was lost, too.

Here are some toe nail examples:

5 Likes