In-wall heat pump?

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Has anyone ever seen one of these. Photo is of interior and exterior of unit. 1987 home with otherwise normal unitary wall heaters. I didn’t get a photo of the remote timer (located very oddly near floor level) but it had some wording on it refering to a “heat exchanger”. The unit “functioned” as far as a fan came on and air was being moved around but I have no idea what it was achieving. The interior panel was heavily painted shut and I didn’t try opening it. I’m disclaiming this thing but was curious if anyone knows what principle it might work on.

![](upload://2HNrk6xsNtNMJuupI1xZwp4KMrw.jpeg)

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: wrobedeau

I am guessing but it looks like an air to air heat recovery unit. The fresh air to the room may possibly have a heater to further increase air temperature.

Bill Robedeau
A II Z Inspections, LLC

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Ahhh…that was it…“recovery” not “exchanger”. So…is there an electric element in these? If I see another one, what do I inspect? Anyone got any photos or links for the guts? Can I go to bed now?

Richard Moore

Rest Assured Inspection Services

Seattle, WA

www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: rhinck

You’ll find (2) small fans and a heat exchanger matrix. Look for how clean it is, filter condition, quietness of fans, where it is controlled by a humidistat or a rheostat. Do a search on the BB for Heat Exchanger or HRV-heat recovery ventilation. Try looking at the schematic drawings.

Rick