Inspecting a Hotel (Hampton Inn)

Joe;

Do you have any documentation to uphold that statement? I would be curious to find out, because with 40 years of Construction, but only half a dozen Inspections I might qualify by sending in my money.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

This industry is constantly changing.
I see that you still do not recommend further training and continuing education.

What a shame!

When have you ever know this man to say anything good about NACHI or Nick?
I have never, and I repeat never seen any positive comments about NACHI or Nick come out of his mouth.

I agree with Frank. There is nothing wrong with continuing education and is the very foundation which our profession is built on, is it perfect, no, but it allows us a place to start and if you want to do commercial inspections it along with a good business plan is a beginning.

That is ABSOLUTELY 100% correct, Marcel.

Here are the current requirements listed on the CMI sites:

Not only do you qualify, I would submit that you are a better representative of “master” than many of the newbies with no experience in any construction related feild who simply took enough classroom hours in basic courses to qualify.[/FONT]

Frank, I compliment NACHI (the membership) quite frequently. I criticise NACHI (the organization) quite frequently. And it is my personal opinion that Nick is a used car salesman.

So what of it? One’s opinion can only be valid if they wave NACHI pom poms and sing the Pledge of Allegience to Nick?

Come on.

And as for the other issue…you know, the one that started this thread…nowhere doe th poster state his background, level of education and/or experience. He may be much like Marcel, very well versed in construction, but not so in electrical or mechanical.

You caution not doing any commercial inspections until you are an expert in each of these categories, since you might miss a mistake by a trade professional. That does not seem to fit in with what Nick/NACHI is promoting with the course, which will advise hiring trade pros and subbing out the job.

The course (and other like it that I am aware of) is primarily useful for understanding protocols, and the ASTM standards, as well as for marketing. It will not provide the level of expertise you advocated. So, while there is nearly always something to be gleaned from continuing ed in any case (that’s why it is required of us all), I do not think that taking the class you recommended will achieve the level of expertise you also advocate.

You will note that the thread is not a discussion of the value of CE - that is a separate discussion, and probably a short one since it is required of us all for good reason.

Again, if the inspector knows the standards, is comfortable with his ability to assess structure, roofing and other systems present, then I would not turn the deal down, provided he has capable, trustworthy, and insured trade pros to sub out to.

My subs are all BBB members (who I know personally), with appropriate credentials and insurance, and my lawyer is comfortable with the agreement we use between us (since he wrote it), that it sufficiently protects me in event of their error or omission. Can I be sued? Sure - anyone can for nearly any reason. Am I likely to be? No.

No shame in it.

And that is the point I have trying to get through to you. We live a litigious society. These people should protect themselves by better training and further education.

It all depends on what the client is most concerned about. Make clear in your contract what it is you are going to inspect and what is not to be inspected. There are currently no requirements of any kind that have to be met to perform a commercial inspection here in AZ. There are currently no “Certifications” that I am aware of the are recognized by any licensing agencys for comercial inspections. Call me sunreal and I would be happy to discuss helping on your inspection. We could be Allays.:wink:

What type of commercial contract do you have and what type of commercial reporting software do you use.

Just wondering.

Frank,

Reread the initial post (thanks for quoting it BK). He HAS performed commercial inspections, he was asking wquestions about a hotel, specifically.

You, of course, know it all because you are (as you say in every second post) an “Expert Witness” and have torn guys apart on the stand (how commendable).

In this case, if he is comfortable with his ability in inspecting commecrial structures and already does so - your class would be nothing more than a review session. It would likely not add much to the equation for him, as even nick has conceded that it is not advanced training to the level you suggest is needed to perform commercial inspections.

I do not know Marcel, but I have noreason not to take him at his word when he tells me he has decades of construciton experience. It has nothing to do with making him an “allay”.

He is qualified to be a CMI, and is likely more qualified than some current CMIs. That was the extent of the post to him.

You must read selectively, as I compliment the NACHI membership (as a whole) fairly often. I think there are many here who do a lot of good and genuinely help others in specfic ways. NACHI as an org needs some work, in my opinion, and that is a reflection of the leadership.

You may have noticed the words"personal opinion" preceding my opinion of nick. It comes from direct experience of having been lied to point blank by him. Your experience differes from mine, and consequently, so does your opinion. See how that works?

I also think that you are very quick to criticize *anything *that I say.
So, when it comes to you … yes I do see how it works.

If you are so tired of them, Frank, then just hit the ignore button, or scroll through them instead of responding to them.

I will never give you Carte Blanche to slander, belittle, or insult me or NACHI.
I will always defend myself, my association and my choice of friends.
>Leave me out of your posts and I will leave you out of mine.<

The choice is, and always has been yours.