Inspecting Furnaces in Hot Weather

Originally Posted By: vincent wood
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is it o k to run furnaces in hot weather for an inspection.

If yes , how long should I let it run.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Vincent,

I run furnaces in any weather. When I do test the furnace I tell the realtor to turn it off in approximately 5 minutes and I inspect it right away with my customer. If you leave it on to long, you will get someone from upstairs yelling into the basement asking if they can turn it off. So I learned my lesson several times and inspect it right away when I enter the basement. icon_wink.gif

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thanks , David

sounds good.

Originally Posted By: rray

I, on the other hand, let the furnace run until the Client and Realtor b*** and complain about it being too hot. What better way months down the road to deflect a call from a Client saying the furnace doesn’t work? And I’ve had to use it a couple of times when the inspection was in February and cold weather arrived 10 months later.

Client: Mr. Kirk, my furnace doesn't work.
Mr. Kirk: Well it worked when we were there testing it. Remember how you and Mr. Realtor were complaining about it being too hot?
Client: Oh, yeah. Well, what should I do?
Mr. Kirk: Call a heating and air conditiong guy to come look at it you stupid, dumb homeowner.

Did I really just write that? I guess I did. I remember when I had a typing/word processing business in Houston decades ago. I was listed in the Yellow Pages under "Typing."

Phone Caller: I found you in the Yellow Pages under "Typing." Do you do typing?
Me: No, you stupid, dumb, *&@#&$*, we sell drugs here. Typing is just a cover.

Ah, I'm on a roll. Time for a margarita.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Russel,

You the man… I see you do margaritas quite a bit in your posts.

You must be a happy man. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Do they help? I’m not a drinker… I’m just curious?

Bartender… A margarita (on me) for Russel over there on the computer.

David Valley

MAB Member

I’m not a drinker either. But I love margaritas. I do resort to them after eight inspections in one day where all eight were dumps, stinky, yukky, ooooooogy, etc. Margaritas help get the smell out of my nose; that, and a good shower. Of course, a margarita in the shower is really nice, too.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Scotch and water would be a better choice for the shower, don’t you think?

Joe Myers

That makes sense.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Thanks, Russel

That sounds like safe advise. I will just break out the dew rag

if things get too hot.

Turning the dishwasher and the furnace on are two things that I do at the beginning of the inspection. I did an inspection of a condo Thursday as usual. Then I went to look for the water heater and electric panel. They were well hidden in an exterior utility closet and I was gone for about 20 minutes. As I exited the utility closet and re-entered the house, there were two Realtors standing there sweating and blocking my way.

"We'd like to ask you something," they chimed together.
"Sure," I said.
"Has the heater been sufficiently well tested so that we can turn it off. We're hot."
"That's what I like to hear. Now everyone knows the furnace works," I said as I thought, "Well you stupid dumb *&(&)&^, if you're hot, walk three feet and step outside." (The Client had followed me outside.)

I don't have to do too much testing of the furnace once everyone acknowledges in front of everyone else that it works. Love the witness program. Best testing protocol in the world, to have both Realtors (and usually the Client) state that something obviously worked while we were there doing the inspection.

Anyway. . . .

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

In the hot sweaty summer months, If I inspect a condenser outside the house I always make it my priority to test the AC mode first when I enter the house. I can then obtain a differential reading at the registers and cool off while doing my interior inspection.

I then let it rest for fifteen/twenty minutes before I test the heat mode. That’s when I enter in the basement and explain every component to my customer.

If the realtor was being a pain in the a** on my interior inspection, I try to forget that the furnace is still blaring at 90 degrees. Trust me, someone will be yelling into the basement asking if they can turn the heat down. If it is the pain in the a** realtor, I always shout back “In a few minutes”.

There are other realtors who are the nicest people in the world. In that case, (when I am getting ready to enter the basement) I always tell them to turn the heat off in approximately 5-8 minutes.

1. Do your inspections in the comfort of air conditioning if possible.

2. Finish off with a torture test if need be. icon_wink.gif

David Valley

MAB Member

I always “heat 'em up” and then “cool 'em down.” I don’t want anyone “hot” at me after I leave.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.