Inspecting panelboards involve energized electrical systems

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

user banned

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

user banned

Originally Posted By: mrose

Hi Joe,

Excellent information useful to every home inspector.

During my past life when I worked in the hvac industry for 15 years I did mange to become part of live circuit. On one occasion I was working with the service manage in a commercial build and became involved with a lighting circuit powered by 277v leg of a 3 phase system. I merely brushed an exposed wire with the end of a finger. It felt like I had been kicked in my entire arm by a horse.

I have a very healthy respect for electricity.

Best regards,

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

mrose wrote:
and became involved with a lighting circuit powered by 277v leg of a 3 phase system. I merely brushed an exposed wire with the end of a finger. It felt like I had been kicked in my entire arm by a horse.

Mike I will agree with you there, 277 volts will kick the heck out of you.

Yes 120 volts is plenty dangerous and must also be treated with respect, but 277 hurts like a son of a b*%$#&.

I once got hung up on 277 volts and falling from the 6' ladder probably saved my life.

I felt like I ran a marathon for the next couple of days.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

I find using my eyes and a flashlight allows me to keep my fingers away from the live parts icon_biggrin.gif removing and replacing the cover is much harder to do with those tools though

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Last night the House Detective put his fingers in the panel.

I have seen ESI run their fingers down the wires to insure that they were not lose on the breakers.

Both of these are no-nos.

As I have said before have your clients stand away from the panel when you are remove, replacing the cover or inspecting the interior.

Please be careful.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: rmagee

Just last week I got a slight shock from an electrical panel. I simply touched the cover and felt a tingle. I had just come in from outside and my hands were cold so I was not sure if I felt a shock or it was just my fingers thawing. I left the panel alone and inspected other items in the basement until I warmed up. I went back to the panel again and when I touched the panel cover I got another shock (slow learner I guess). Needless to say I recommended the entire electrical system be evaluated by a licensed electrician and repairs conducted as required. This was a two year old home and the permit tag on the service entrance indicated the electrical was installed by a respected company. My question, is there some sort of device we can use to test the panel cover for current prior to touching it?

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Originally Posted By: pgudek

I have a device called a Circuit Alert, It looks like a pen. When you touch anything thats hot a light and alarm go off. It works great for checking the panel and it is also handy when you find bare wires hanging around you can use it to see if they are live or not.

This is the one I use but many companies make non-contact voltage checkers.

Always test it before use, I just rub it on my sleeve it will light up if the battery is good and the electronics are OK.

They will not work through metal, like a BX cable or j box covers.

I have seen many apprentices blow up pliers because the used this tool to check if an MC (BX) cable was dead only to find it was not when cut.

They also might light up on a dead circuit but at least that is not dangerous.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

I have worked as a commercial / industrial electrician for 10 years. I have been shocked of course numerous times, but in the last 5 yrs I can’t remember any. However leaning across duct work a wire hit me on my neck and lit me up enough to go to the hospital, and 5 yrs ago I was shutting a fence at the airport during a storm and the fence was hit by lightning. Another trip to the hospital. But after many years of learning (the hard way sometimes) It defintely pays to be safe. not sorry…

we are taught to put one arm behind your back when reaching into a panel, that way electricity will not go across the heart and out the other hand.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

The tool Bob showed you is good.

I will not work any electric without it.

I use it as a first and last test on a circuit. Not the only test.

If it buzzes I check that circuit again. You will get false readings with it sometimes.

Next time you are near the big electric towers take it out of you tool box.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I posted this a while back about panel safety

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?p=16190#16190

And here is the voltage ticker I like (GB CircuitAlert). It has a simple built in self-test feature (just push the pocket clip) so ya know the batteries aren't dead, and it flashes red and beeps if voltage is detected ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: rmagee

I use the exact same voltage ticker that Robert pictured in his post. The only problem is that it beeps anywhere near a panel. The current in the wires and breakers is enough to activate it. Have you ever tried to use one of these in a house with electric radiant ceiling heat? It goes off if it is within four feet of the ceiling and with that type of heating system the ticker goes nuts in the attic.

Rick … I haven’t had those kind of issues, and maybe it needs to be replaced. Anybody else?

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

It could be just defective as RC has said.

I know with the Fluke ones you can get one for 24 to 90 VAC and the model I use is rated 90 to 600 VAC.

If you try to use the 24 to 90 VAC one near line voltage it will indicate everything is live.

I am not big on self test features on most equipment GFCIs are an exception to that, but for these voltage checkers I still recommend testing on a known live circuit before each use. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) Call be paranoid.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Rob,

after everything you've said about the use of specialized test equipment, I am staggered to learn that you have added a voltage tic, to the flashlight and screwdriver, careful my friend you are on the slippery slope, you will soon be salivating over the professional equipment catalogue ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Hey Gerry … you are absolutely right, very slipery slope … icon_exclaim.gif

I actually have more specialized gear and equipment than you can shake a stick at for engineering evaluations, which I wouldn't consider (even for a second) using for a home inspection ...

But the voltage ticker meets my "Harry Homeowner Rule", plus I think it's really PPE ... just like my electricians gloves and safety glasses ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Originally Posted By: joetedesco

user banned