Inspection Fees

When I bought myself a little bungalow in Fort Lauderdale to tie up my boat - the RE agent suggested already in 1975 to have a home inspection to verify that the seawall and dock were not crumbling - and that no termites were munching on the roof rafters. The inspection report consisted at that time of one (1) page of disclaimers - and two (2) pages of nothing - and set me back **seventy-five US dollars. **However - the experience triggered the idea to introduce home inspections to Toronto.

Several thousand’s dollars for legal advice - heavy promotion - but very cheap E&O insurance later - I received the first request to inspect a small home in the spring of **1976. **I charged $95.00 for the inspection, and to issue a typewritten report. I certainly made no money and raised my fee to $125.00 shortly thereafter.

Until **1980 the going rate became $145.00 - and $165.00 for years thereafter. In the nineties we all raised our fees about $25.00 yearly until the average inspection fee became stagnant at $350.00. Established inspection services are now charging for years already about $375.00 to $450.00 **for the average home in the City of Toronto.

I personally charge currently between $395.00 and $425.00 plus 6% GST. In addition I charge now $0.45 per kilometre if the property is located outside of the city limits.
RUDOLF REUSSE** - Home Inspector since 1976 - **TORONTO **

The GST is 5%

You are right - it was a spelling mistake - Rudolf

[quote=Rudolf Reusse]

I personally charge currently between $395.00 and $425.00 plus 6% GST. In addition I charge now $0.45 per kilometre if the property is located outside of the city limits.

RUDOLF REUSSE - Home Inspector since 1976 - **TORONTO **

Rudolf…What do you consider the city limits?
Your fee seems low for Toronto, maybe it’s just me.

[QUOTE=bjones5]

Brian:

Very simple - **the boundaries of the City of Toronto. **

[quote=Rudolf Reusse]

Thanks. Was curious cuz some seem to consider Brampton, Missassauga and others part of TO now.

[quote=bjones5]

Brian,

For a small bungalow or townhouse, $425 is all we can get here. For something larger 2000sq feet + the fee would be $500.00+

You have to remember we have a few low-ballers here, some live in Toronto others live elsewhere and advertise that they live and work here. These inspectors typically will charge $250-$300 for something I would be charging $500:shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: