WHAT ARE WE CHARGING

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

After all the comments about doing cheap inspections I thought a poll of what we are really charging may be interesting. icon_question.gif

Gerry

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Might want to find out if the feds consider this price fixing.

Bob

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Just a little note for future reference. If you include things like numbers make sure you go from say $1 to $199 the next being $200 to $299 that way you are not repeating the amounts. Anyone can check the catagory $200 to $300 or $300 to $400 if the charge $300. Hope this clears it up!

Joe Myers

yeah Joe,

I know you’re right, and I would be lost without you’re imput icon_lol.gif

Regards

Gerry

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Are you asking the fee for a home inspection only? Or home, termite, radon, or what? And what size house. sounds like someone who calls the office and their first question is, what is the price? Well, it depends.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

I think the survey is for General Inspection only. Extras are extra.

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Sorry Guys,

Yes I was talking about general inspections only and trying to get an overall sense of where the market is.

Many thanks for your input

Gerry

JOE !! why didn't you correct me on that ?????? icon_razz.gif

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Gerry,

I guess I just assumed you meant the home inspection, or you would have asked the price with the other inspections. Sorry, next time I will pay more attention! icon_smile.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rray

I checked the $100-$200 range because my lowest price is $199 for a condominium of less than 1000 square feet.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: mrose

Hey Guys,

My inspections start at $295.00 for a house selling at $225K or less.

I am of the opinion that the principle of "perceived value" applies to our profession. A c.ient associates a higher price for an inspection with a better quality one.

When a prospective client states that "Fumble Butt Home Inspections" is less, then I have the option of discounting. When I discount an inspection the standard price is shown minus their discount. This is done so the client sees the discount and the Realtor knows what the normal fee is.

Best regards.

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

I’m just curious how geographic specific this??

I believe that Mr. Kirk and I charge more than the average for Real Estate values are much higher than the other states????

You know, I gnaw at the cost that Realtors charge, and with the costs of insurance, advertising, and the general cost of doing business, shouldn't/couldn't we charge higher fees on a national basis??

I probably charge a $100.00 more than the average HI, and I would certainly like to see the average HI at around $650.00 - why not????

What happened to all the realtors, did they leave the country?? icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
If you include things like numbers make sure you go from say $1 to $199 the next being $200 to $299 that way you are not repeating the amounts. Anyone can check the catagory $200 to $300 or $300 to $400 if the charge $300. Hope this clears it up!

This count will be off, somewhat, but aren't all Polls said to have a 10-20% real difference?

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

With a gun against my head…

There is a very good, open, non-NACHI discussion of pricing here.

http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=381

Good to know what the other guy in your territory is doing. In my experience when money talks it mostly says good bye. When faced with the sheer cupidity of some organizations, money has to be earned in any way possible just to feed the beast.

Joe Burkeson

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: jpeck

You will notice that there are only two in the $500 and up category, and think I may accidently taken the survey twice.

Jerry Peck

South Florida

the condition of their new home but to understand the condition of their new home. There’s a big difference. Most home inspectors specialize in home inspections. I specialize in education.

My prices probably are somewhere right in the middle of the pack, although I haven't checked for about six months now. I'm more interested in making the kind of living that I want to make. So I set my prices accordingly. Knowing what kind of living I wanted to make is what got me into this business to begin with since I knew what the hourly rate of pay was and what I needed.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I will tell you a tale of two cities.

I Northern VA, My fee was based on the sales price of the home. I was at $1 per thousand of the sales price with a minimum of $225. Since the AVERAGE price of a home in that area was $387,000 when I left, you can get an idea. I also charged extra for second A/C systems, etc. Most of my competition was in this area or less. The average size of the 300k and up home was about 4200 sq. ft. plus a basement and almost always a 2 or 3 car garage. I did several inspections the last two or three years there that were over $1800. Those make for a nice day! I didn't lose any inspections over price in VA.

In Rural Englewood, FL we go by square foot. We have many smaller homes which can be purchased for under 100k, and I did one last Monday which the buyer got for $51,500. It was 1029 Sq. ft. If I would have charged more than $150 for the inspection, the ASHI guy who lives down the street from me would have gotten it. I am at the upper middle of the 11 home inspectors in the area here and I actually get excited when I have an inspection for $250.00, like I have next Tuesday. The average here is right around $189. I have lost several inspections this year because my price is $5 higher than a competitor. And yes, I do know how to get the price shoppers business, this is at least for now a very price sensitive market.

I don't like working for the lower fees, but my cost of living is significantly less than Northern VA. Maybe about ?. When I get back to the number of inspections I did up north my plan is to be the highest priced. Even then, that will only be around $200 for an average house. We also have to deal with a seasonal market down here. My busy time is from now till May, slower in June-Aug, and DEAD in Sept. Starts picking up again in Oct. We love and hate the snowbirds all in the same breath.

Oh well, that's my $3.67 worth, if it's worth that much. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Joe,

The TIJ discussion that you posted, does not come up. Do you have another clickable link?

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Quote:
The TIJ discussion that you posted, does not come up. Do you have another clickable link?

Hi David,

Worked this morning when I posted it, looks like their entire site is down for now. http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=1

Joe.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

bwiley wrote:
Oh well, that's my $3.67 worth, if it's worth that much.

(This space for rent for a stupid slogan if the price is high enough)

Sounds like I mgiht be able to get it for $3.68 or so? icon_biggrin.gif

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

The Craftsman “National Construction Estimator” lists the national average cost for a basic home inspection at $275 up to a 2,500 SF home, and $70 per 1,000 SF above that.

It also has add prices for detached buildings, testing, pools, older homes, etc. and area adjustment factors for labor rates.

For my area of Long Island, NY the adjustment would be +34%, which would give you about $370 plus $95 per 1,000 SF over 2,500 SF for a basic home inspection.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong