Inspection Flashcard #6

**QUESTION: **A habitable room should not be less than _____ feet in any horizontal dimension.

**What’s your best guess? **

And there’s an exception for one particular room in a house. This room could have a horizontal dimension less than _____ feet.

What’s the room with the exception?

dimension: _____
room: _____

inspection flashcard #5

**QUESTION: **A habitable room should not be less than 7’___ feet in any horizontal dimension.
But, one room has to have a minimum of 120 sf.

And there’s an exception for one particular room in a house. This room could have a horizontal dimension less than _____ feet.

room: Kitchen_____

Minimum distance in front of kitchen base cabinets= 3’

48" in between cabinets, but 52"-64" is prefered.

The ICC 2006 International Residential Code states: no habitable space may be less than 70 square feet. A bedroom is considered a habitable space. Some building officials do not concider the closet part of that space and some do. Best to ask your building department.

Although this is a code reference, it is not a code interpretation. Codes vary from area to area and should always be verified with your local authority. Some areas do not use the IRC and some amend the IRC. Your local building official can help you much more than I can.

And remember, if you built to the minimum Code requirements, you have just scored a “D” for effort and score for an outstanding structure. :mrgreen:

**QUESTION: **A habitable room should not be less than 7’___ feet in any horizontal dimension.
But, one room has to have a minimum of 120 sf.

room: Kitchen_____

Marcel,

As always you are on top of it. There is one more consideration to take into account
Height effect on room area: Portions of a room with a sloping ceiling measuring less than 5 feet or a furred ceiling measuring less than 7 feet from the finished floor to the finished ceiling shall not be considered as contributing to the minimum required habitable area for that room. For point of reference that is from the Florida Building Code which mirrors the ICC. I do have a question perhaps you or Ben will know the answer. For some reason I was under the impression that the Federal government mandated that all states must adopt the minimum standards of the ICC or that they could withhold FEMA, HUD, and other monies. The reason for this was to have one minimum standard throughout the country. Was I dreaming or just misinformed?

Mark, as far as I knew, it was nation wide with a couple of exceptions.

Check the States Here to see what was adopted ;

http://www.iccsafe.org/gr/Pages/adoptions.aspx:)

ANSWER: 7 feet, and the Kitchen is the exception to the rule.

And next… Inspection Flashcard #7