Inspection Reports: Engage Your Five Senses. Please proof this new article.

Inspection Reports: Engage Your Five Senses.

“And” is a terrible way to begin a new sentance. Try something like “additionally,” “in addition,” “also,” or just drop the “and” altogether.

JMO

Good example…
he observational details that you record will then inform your recommendations, which will give your client a next step, and even a roadmap to recovery:
[ul]
[li]*Roof’s condition indicated issues related to moisture intrusion, as evidenced by presence of standing water, and weakened tile adhesion to underlayment. *[/li][LIST]
[li]Recommend further investigation by a roofing contractor.[/li]
[/ul]
[li]*Musty smell indicated possible onset of mold growth. *[/li][ul]
[li]Recommend further investigation to include mold testing and possible mitigation.[/li]
[/ul]
[li]*Attic vent fan operated intermittently instead of continuously; **heard **scraping noise of fan blades against metal. *[/li][ul]
[li]Recommend further investigation and repair or replacement.[/li][/ul]
[li]**Would maybe bold the senses, or subtitle each example for emphasis.**Also add all 5.[/li][/LIST]

I do not and would not say anything smelled musty…Once you go done the “It Smells” road where does it end?? Am I now supposed to Identify every smell that the new owner may find offensive…

I thought the SOP says we do Visual Inspections???

And this part?? Where in the SOP do you get that if the roof is good that I now need to Educate someone and write some long winded narrative???

Hi,

Nobody talks like this:
[ul]
[li]*Roof’s condition indicated issues related to moisture intrusion, as evidenced by presence of standing water, and weakened tile adhesion to underlayment. *[/li][LIST]
[li]Recommend further investigation by a roofing contractor.[/li]
[/ul]
[li]*Musty smell indicated possible onset of mold growth. *[/li][ul]
[li]Recommend further investigation to include mold testing and possible mitigation.[/li]
[/ul]
[li]*Attic vent fan operated intermittently instead of continuously; heard scraping noise of fan blades against metal. * [/li][ul]
[li]Recommend further investigation and repair or replacement.[/li][/ul]
[/LIST]So, why would you encourage inspectors to write their reports like that?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike O’Handley, LHI
Your Inspector LLC.
Kenmore, Washington
Wa. Lic. Home Inspector #202