Inspections in the snow

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have only done a couple of inspections, none of which have been in the snow. I have one scheduled tomorrow morning and there is a chance of snow tonight. If the roof & grounds are covered with snow, do most of you just put that it is not visible, therefore uninspectable, or do you go back and look at those areas after the snow melts?

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter

Being in Michigan, many of the inspections I do are in the snow. Do your inspection. If it’s covered with snow, noted as covered with snow and couldn’t be inspected and move on. Take pictures if needed. DO NOT offer to come back when the snow has cleared. (Unless they plan on paying you again.) Do not shovel snow, do not clear snow, DO NOT climb on the roof. You are asking for trouble if you do any of that.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Ed Porter

Cornerstone Home Inspection Services

Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dave,

You should state in the inspection report that the inspection of the roof was limited to observations made from the ground. Inspection of the entire roof surface was limited because of snow coverings.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dbush

Thanks, luckily the snow didn’t hit, but we did still have a frost on the roof. Roof was WAY too steep to climb on anyway. Did inspection from the ladder & ground. I will post some pictures later. Dave

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

If you take your skis with you on the roof inspection I think you are in for some serious fun on the way down! icon_smile.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rwills

Personally,I would call the client and give them the option of continuing as scheduled or postponing. Let them know it would be marked as not inspected if snow covered. Many automatically assume you’ll come back (no extra charge) to complete the report. Make sure they’re aware of all the facts.

Originally Posted By: Rusty Rothrock

Dave -

To my way of thinking, a home inspection is not complete until some type of reporting is completed concerning the roof. We had a couple of inches here in Richmond on Thursday and I was not able to inspect the roofs on three different houses. I inspected everything else but I stated at the end of my report... "inspection is not complete, roof covered with snow, will reinspect roof in the next day or two."

Granted I don't live in the north with constant snow, so it's not that big of a deal for me to go back out and reinspect roofs that initially were covered with snow. I learned a long time ago to always give my customers "more service than they expected." This past Sunday after church I went ahead and reinspected those snow covered roofs...one was OK, one has some work to be done, and the last was in bad shape and needs shingle replacement. It's funny how snow can make everything so perfect. Of the three houses (considering their overall condition) I thought for sure that if there was a roof problem, it would have been on the first house that was not well maintained. Boy was I wrong. The house that needed new shingles was the nicest house of the three.

Anyway, as I said, snow is not a constant issue down here so I have the ability to go back out an reinspect. My Purchasers truly appreciate the effort, and so do the Realtors who are involved. In this business (just like in any business) we always need to be willing to "go the extra mile."

I slept good Sunday night (like every night) knowing that I went the extra mile.

Regards, Rusty

Originally Posted By: gbell

It did snow here a few weeks ago. I told the relator that we would have to wait for it to stop and melt. So we took a five minute break then went back to work. Got to love the sun. The sunshine state.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter

Hey guys,

I whole heartedly agree to “go the extra mile” for all my customers. Keep in mind that here on the Lake Michigan coast shoreline, this snow can stick around for months. So maybe my situation is different than those of you who get the occasional snow cover.

I make sure every customer understands the limitations of an inspection in the snow during the initial phone call. Most understand and move forward, and others reschedule.

Stay safe.

--
Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Dear Greg,

I read your first two sentences thinking "ah, good info coming from Greg."

When I read your third sentence, I realized that you are indeed a cruel, unkind, devilish, and heartless person.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: gbell

I try my best. It is getting cold here though. I have my jacket on below 60

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Was 32 this morning with frost, decided too cold to work. icon_cool.gif

Bob

Originally Posted By: rwills

I agree with Rusty about going the extra mile,maybe even a few,however, I will not go the extra 30 to 40 miles to check the roof,etc without a trip charge. (baby needs new shoes!)… icon_wink.gif

Bob,

Is'nt 32 in Washington like summer? I thought it gets really cold up there in the north west.

Joe Myers

The Puget Sound Area usually stays in the high 40’s to mid 50’s during the winter. There are usually exceptions for a day or two. Lived in all kind of places that they have cold and snow, that’s the main reason I’m here. The trade of is not as much sunshine, but I’m pretty enough without a tan. icon_cool.gif

BTW We have no poisonous snakes here either (used to hunt rattlers in TX) which makes it nice going under homes (as long as you can swim).

Bob

Bob,

I am thoroughly surprised about the temp out there. I always thought Washington as being colder than here in PA. What was I thinking? The 50's is like spring time here. You mean to tell me that you don't get like 10 feet of snow over the winter? No ice? No blizzards? Damn, I almost need a beer after that one and I don't even drink (cept coca cola)! icon_smile.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: matthew berman

icon_smile.gif ed,like you i am in the detroit area and snow can last a long time on roofs. the buyer is informed that the roof cannot be inspected.i also suggest that the seller disclose age and any problems.(i know not all will be honest)always helps to remove some liability.---------matt

Originally Posted By: jremas

Did 2 inspections today with another inspector. Both roofs were snow covered with ice-damming underneath. Both 1 story homes. Around here we have had over 47 days straight of snow covered roofs. We placed a ladder and shoveled out a spot. Glad we did on both roofs, the 1st one was bad & needed to be replaced (after the client had the closing is a bad time to find this out) and more problems found on the 2nd roof. Personally, unless it is way too steep or over 2 stories with no access, it should be looked at. The client will be happy you did. It might be easy to check off a box that says “roof snow covered, unable to inspect” but a good solid attempt will be worth it. Just be safe.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Jeff,

Inspecting the roof is simple in the snow, take the snow ski's with you!

Life is just no fun without some adventure! icon_smile.gif

Joe Myers

Joe,

The main reason I live here is because of working in places like Somerset, PA, Kansas, Korea, Germany, Oklahoma, Texas panhandle, Ohio, etc. Growing up that white stuff is fine, also ok if you can stay home, but to work in it, no more. icon_mad.gif
The mountains and east of the mountains have the snow that you're talking about. I can look out my window any day of the year and see snow on top of Mt Rainier, but I ain't goin' there. icon_wink.gif

Bob