Insulation photos

I am looking for photos of insulation types.

I have Rockwool & Vermiculite.

If any one has any photos of other types of insulation it would be appreciated.

Urethane Foam

P3130113 (Small).JPG

P3130113 (Small).JPG

P3130127 (Small).JPG

P3130119 (Small).JPG

Thanks

How does Polyurethane & Icynene differ.

Anyone have any pictures of other types of insulation?

Hi. David;

One is an open cell and one is a closed cell product.

The R- factor of the closed cell will be approx. 6.8 and the open cell could be down to 3.6 per inch of Product.

http://www.icynene.com/InsulationSystem.aspx

http://www.sprayfoaminsulate.com/

These links might help you a little.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

That’s a big difference!!

I am sure Linas, that there is a big difference in price also.

Around here, I do not see much Icyenene, and PSF cost $1.00 per board foot.

So in a 5 &1/2" wall it would cost you $3.00 a sq. ft. for 3" of the product for an r-factor of 20.4.

I don’t know how much for the other product.

Marcel :slight_smile:

Here is pink fiberglass, cellulose and white fiberglass. enjoy. The cellulose had just been blown in over some old nasty cellulose.

How about "missing insulation?

click pic

You better need the specialty product as R20 fiberglass plus sealed air/vapour barrier will cost under $1.00 per sq ft

Hi. Brian, I think there is a substance to compare performance over price.

Check here; http://building.dow.com/styrofoam/na/spray_foam/residential/applications/

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

1966 Home.

Is the original insulation rockwool?

114308 050 (Small).jpg

Looks like it.

Fiberglass BattSTYROFOAM SPF InsulationAllows air to pass easily throughCreates an airtight, moisture-resistant seal Does not expand; allows gaps for air and moisture intrusionExpands to completely seal and insulate cavities, cracks and crevices, when properly applied Can hold and allow moisture entry Repels/deflects waterRated R-value dependent on “perfect” installation; compresses easily, losing insulating valueWill not compress, settle, shrink or sag; delivers a high initial R-value of 6.5† per inch. Does not provide structural reinforcementAdds strength and rigidity to the wall assembly

Well, if it’s quite a bit cheaper than the SPF price you quoted, I might go for it. I’ve seen quite a bit of great house performance when I worked with Canada’s R2000 home program from 1984-1992 as a site advisor/inspector. (Two of my clients- 1989 & 1993- were named Canada’s “R2000 Builder of the Year”. These homes used fiberglass in walls and blown cellulose in attics. They had tested air change rates of about 1 ACH at 50 pascals using a blower door)

Here’s my opinions of the smoke and mirrors in the foam advertising:

Fiberglass Batt / STYROFOAM SPF Insulation

Allows air to pass easily through / Creates an airtight, moisture-resistant seal
Yes, if you don’t have an air barrier but with a decent air barrier, it’s not a problem/ But does the foam seal at the inside/outside corner studs, doubled top plates, bottom plate-floor joint?..No, they have to be caulked by hand.

Does not expand; allows gaps for air and moisture intrusion / Expands to completely seal and insulate cavities, cracks and crevices, **when properly applied **
So with a proper air/vapour barrier, sheathing, sheathing membrane, siding/flashing, you know, the regular stuff, where’s this air and moisture intrusion coming from?

Can hold and allow moisture entry / Repels-deflects water
See above/ If water gets in through leakage and wets the framing around the foam on a regular basis, it will not dry out and begin to rot also…similar to fiberglass

Rated R-value dependent on “perfect” installation; compresses easily, losing insulating value / Will not compress, settle, shrink or sag; delivers a high initial R-value of 6.5† per inch.
Not perfect installation but good installation (remember the foam gives performance when properly applied also); as fiberglass gets compressed the R per inch at first actually goes up as the air pockets get smaller. They used to make denser products called Glasclad and Baseclad with 4.4 per inch. / Why don’t they just give you the actual long term R value of the foam product? So it takes near 4 inches of this foam to get R20…at $1.00 per bd ft…

Does not provide structural reinforcement/Adds strength and rigidity to the wall assembly
If I need to have the insulation provide structural support for my house, I’ll hire a better builder!!!

The foam company has put seeds of doubt in the public’s minds using scare tactics not facts like: fiberglass can be installed well, etc, etc, etc.

SMOKE AND MIRRORS…a lot of it in the energy industry. It’s a technical field that many do not specialize in. If I had my choice I’d put the extra $$$ into triple glazed, low E, krypton filled “Heat Mirror” glass for my windows and a good HRV. The windows are the lowest R values in all homes and where the “law of diminishing returns” still works in our favour.