Interesting chat today...

Originally Posted By: jedwards
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Stopped by my bank to have some more of this confounded licensing paperwork notarized. The lady who usually helps me was busy, and the branch manager wound up helping me. We’d never met before.

We started talking about inspections. He said he had a client he was trying to close on a commercial building. She wants it inspected before she closes... but neither of them can find anyone to do it! And apparently this was the first time he'd run into this.

Thinking fast ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif), I told him I'd check around and see what I could find out. Seems like I read somewhere-- maybe here-- that commercial inspections are few and far between, because many business people who wouldn't even consider buying a home without an inspection will buy a commercial property almost sight unseen. What can y'all tell me about commercial inspections? I don't even know if such a license exists in my state, beyond code inspectors and such. Would a commercial buyer have to hire an expert in every construction field?

At any rate, without any selling on my part, he asked me to be SURE to drop off some business cards and stuff when I get everything rolling. Seemed sincere, at any rate (I hadn't even mentioned that I'm planning to open my business account with his bank).

Any info on those commercial thingys appreciated, to help me make a good impression (not to do 'em myself, but if I could just tell him where to look, might get me on his radar screen... )

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Get me that branch manager’s name and address and I’ll ship her a http://www.nachi.org/mousepad.htm

Nick

She’s a he. Email coming. Thanks, Nick. icon_smile.gif

John Edwards

Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Depends on how you define “Upstate, SC”. Does that mean you are in the north beach end, say Myrtle Beach, or are you in the up in the hills part around Greenville.

Without knowing that, I couldn't find anything easily for your.

Use www.findaninspector.us and call some other guys around you. Ask them about doing commericial inspections in your area. Try some of thd other inspector locators out there and do the same thing. Google for "commericial inspection" upstate, Scouth Carolina". See what comes up.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Thanks much Erby. I did some searching last night and found a couple leads. Following up today. Surprisingly few and far between, and since this manager had never had the issue come up before, I guess that means that the demand really isn’t much there.

"Upstate" generally means Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson in SC.

Thanks again.

--
John Edwards
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: jpope

Quote:
Would a commercial buyer have to hire an expert in every construction field?

For commercial inspections, this would be YOUR job. You would hire "sub-contractors" to inspect the different systems within the structure. It is then your job to compile all of the information into a report and submit it to the buyer.

The process usually takes several days (depending on the size of the building and the availability of trades persons) and cost several thousand dollars. It's basically "project managing" rather than inspecting.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Thanks Jeff, real good point, and definitely something to remember-- contracting. Unfortunately in this case I got the impression that this was a small business owner buying a commercial property for the first time, who may have had home inspections in the past and expected to find a comparable “generalist” commercial inspection (especially since it was almost closing when the issue even came up). When I get time I’ve gotta hit my state licensing department’s site and research whether such a license exists.

But project management is great food for thought. Stopped back by the bank today but the manager's off until Monday. I may just have to mull this over a bit...

Thanks for the idea!

--
John Edwards
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: dkeough

John

When I did my only commercial inspection, I did the one part of the inspection that I was State Licensed for which was roofing. I then hired
all state licensed contractors to do the other part of the inspections such as electrical, plumbing, etc. I also followed them around to help learn a little more.

Dave

Thanks Dave. So you’re saying that, in FL, commercial inspections are specifically restricted to licensed contractors in each discipline?

John Edwards

Pre-Paid Legal Services