Commercial inspections

Originally Posted By: sboyd2
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is it worth my while to start doing commercial inspections as well as my normal home and mold inspections? It seems the market is here for it, I’ve had several realtors ask me. My answer is usually, yes light commercial. One man wanted me to do an entire mall. Should I look into this? How much different is it than home inspections?

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

Shane, I’ve done some motel inspections, but malls, etc . . .?

That's a bit out of my comfort zone and, it sounds, possibly out of yours too. Careful where the almighty buck leads you if it doesn't feel gut-right!

At any rate, my understanding is that one must have at least some concept of what's going on, farm out the different aspects to subs, and make sure you, as the person in the middle, has protection thru good contracts and legal advice.

Now, I'll let someone who knows what they're talking about step up. You had 25 viewings and no responses, so I felt you've waited long enough!

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors

Thanks for the advise man. I just didn’t know if there were any different licenses involved in doing commercial inspections. Nothing I can’t learn how to do in the future. Thanks again

Originally Posted By: cbutler

Shane,

if you were insured with FREA, we do not charge anything more to be commercially certified. But we do require that you go through a training program…

ITA has one for $695.00 that is 3-days long…

And you can inspect up to a 20-acre site then…

works out to like 877,000 sq. ft. regardless of how many buildings…

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

(Former) Director of Membership @ FREA

chris_butler32@yahoo.com

That is definately worth looking into. Thank you for the information.