Interior window opens to garage

Barndo interior remodel with a bathroom window opening to garage. Is this ok?

Of course not

2 Likes

The code says you cant have a sleeping room with direct access to the garage. It doesnt say anything about a bathroom.
The only other concern I would have is ventilation, but I see a ventilation fan in the ceiling. Although, I do not see a duct above the bathroom to vent to exterior.

Bathrooms are not required to have a window for ventilation

3 Likes

You can’t have an operable window between house and garage, no matter what room it is.

6 Likes

Well, that is a blanket statement… If it is fire rated, than it is fine. However, we do not know if it is or not from here.

However, this looks like a free standing garage, not an attachment to the home

1 Like

It Opens. He said it is a barn converted to a condo.

If it is just a bathroom in a freestanding garage then that’s a different story.

1 Like

it doesnt say condo, just says “barndo interior remodel”…whatever that means… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It’s a barndominium or a metal building home. They added the bathroom in discussion, a hallway and two bedrooms. The window opens to the garage. Thank you both for input!

1 Like

If we’re talking fire separation, the small window is the least of your worries. If you look at the top of the ladder on the outside wall of the bathroom by the window you’ll see the batt insulation. A fire in the garage portion of this barn would easily spread and come in contact with the ceiling joists on the bathroom and continue to spread to the rest of the ceiling areas of the other rooms. That interior looking door with the large opening on the bottom? Not a good look either. Should be asking/checking for permits.

4 Likes

Yes, good point. Considering the rest is living space, that whole wall needs to be sealed up to the roof.
I agree, probably no permits/inspections for the whole project

1 Like

Surely not fire rated and operable both.
The operable is the problem as it may be left open, and then someone idles a vehicle in the garage.

Note that in my area they don’t take fire rated windows as walls. They have to be wall rated, which is much thicker (nearly 1 inch thick glass).

As per your description and photo I would write it up as such

“At time of the inspection there was an enclosed garage area that does not appear to meet the requirements needed for an approved fire separation. There was an operable window that separates the living space (LOCATION) from the garage area. This condition could also allow carbon monoxide and other harmful fumes from garage to be drawn into the interior living space of the home. The intent of the fire separation between the attached garage and the living space is intended to slow the spread of fire from the garage to the living space. This inspector recommends further evaluation from a qualified licensed contractor and any corrective repair that may be necessary for health and safety concerns to restore the fire separation integrity as per current building requirements.”

1 Like

Looks like they built a home with living quarters inside a pre-engineered building.
I think it lacks the proper protection required for living quarters from the garage. The top is all open.

Can’t have an egress door through a garage. If that’s the case that door isn’t right anyway.

2 Likes

Bob, I believe everything about this set-up is wrong anyways.

3 Likes